Rights as a co parent to adult DS son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rights as a co parent to adult DS son

Options
R1ckyM
R1ckyM Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I wish to introduce myself and ask advice regarding my adult son who is DS and mild. 
Although I'm not his appointee, he does actually live with me for almost 50% of the time. 
When with me, he's not allowed used or access to his bank debit card and comes to mine with no money or access to it.
For the past few years this has been the case. When I ask his mum about PIP payments or bank statements I am told that it's none of my business and I don't need to know......he's my son and a huge part of my life so I feel that I do need to know. I have tried social services and they are no help at all. I'd love to be able to find out more about his circumstances but feel that I'm banging my head against the wall.
I was wondering if anyone knows what course of action is available to us? Could we go in to his bank and ask for statements etc to be sent to my address also ....set up standing order payments to an account in his name that he has access to when he's with me etc in order that he'snot disadvantaged in my care?
Any help would be appreciated 
TIA
x
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think I have anything to contribute in terms of answer so I hope someone else can :(
    Is his mum his appointee for benefits? In your opinion is he able to manage that sort of stuff alone without an appointee? 

It's hard without you knowing more about his bank information or anything to even know if you could ask those sort of changes.

Is his care arrangement an official appointed thing through courts? Does your son want more access to his money? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    An appointee applies to benefit claims only. This doesn't apply to things like bank accounts etc. If his mother is his appointee for his PIP claim then it's likely that the money is being paid to her bank account. She should then give this money to the claimant (her son)
    Does he currently have his own bank account that he has access to? Difficult to advice on an internet forum because we don't know all the details.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depends how old he is who has parental responsibility is it shared ,? Yoy could have a solicitors letter sent asking the questions for you 

It's hard to say with not much information  social services don't get involved in private affairs  with money  

If you co parent then there should be some sort of arrangement  put in place for financial  help whilst he is with you 

You can speak to citizens advice or get legal advice 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The answer to the bank statements and bank account depends if his mum has control over his finances power of attorney or something like that  because your son doesn't have capability to handle his own finances if  that's the case only his mum can deal with those sort of things which is why you need professional help from a solicitor or an advocate or citizens advice 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.