What to do next got my appeal pack — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What to do next got my appeal pack

Options
stuartperry
stuartperry Community member Posts: 36 Connected
 Sorry guys haven’t been on here for a couple of months I’ve been in a bad state of mind.  Finally got the courage  to look at this again.

Right so I’ve got my appeal pack,  i’m appealing to be in the support group for ESA they have put me in the work related.  I was in the support group for five years then recently been changed  

What should I do while I’m waiting for a date of hearing.

They have asked me if I want to send any more evidence..  what can I send,  because I don’t really have anything which they  didn’t get originally when filling ESA 50.... I was told not to request new evidence.

Secondly.  How should I prepare for the  hearing  day, again I don’t have any new evidence should I write maybe a diary.. of how I am feeling day to day with activities..

Also any other tips on being successful    

Thank you very much guys    

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sorry you've been in bad state of mine, it's a lot of pressure and makes sense you are finding it hard. Are you able to get a representative?
    Did you send much anecdotal evidence like stories from you about when you tried the different activities? Have you looked at the support group criteria?
  • stuartperry
    Options
    Sorry you've been in bad state of mine, it's a lot of pressure and makes sense you are finding it hard. Are you able to get a representative?
    Did you send much anecdotal evidence like stories from you about when you tried the different activities? Have you looked at the support group criteria?
     Yes I have looked at the criteria, when should I send this andorctal evidence ?

How much value  does this type of evidence hold, how should I structure it?

Should I send it to the tribunal 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence will always be the best you can send. What you should do is a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

You should send this to arrive with HMCTS before the hearing date. Do be aware that they will only take into consideration what your conditions were like at the time the assessment took place.

My last WCA was done purely on anecdotal evidence, which i had a paper based assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    As poppy123456 said it is really good evidence. The more detail the better not just like "I can't walk myself because my back hurts" or whatever applies to you. You need to spell out exactly why and what happens when you try, the after effects and any problems before as well as during. Oh and any pain you feel.
    @poppy123456 is it okay if I ask whether you requested a paper based assessment or did thye just pick to do it?

• poppy123456
    Options

@poppy123456 is it okay if I ask whether you requested a paper based assessment or did thye just pick to do it?

No, i didn't request a paper based assessment. Forgot to also mention that mine and my daughters PIP reviews last year were also paper based.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you have been in a bad state of mind @stuartperry, I hope you have loved ones around you who can provide support through this time. Fingers crossed too that taking part in the community can be a positive outlet for you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Biblioklept
    Options

No, i didn't request a paper based assessment. Forgot to also mention that mine and my daughters PIP reviews last year were also paper based.
    That's really good you must have a real talent for writing enough evidence etc. My recent PIP was paperbased but I don't know if I'll get that lucky again
  • stuartperry
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thanks everyone,   should I try to link the issues I’m having on a daily basis  to any of the descriptors or is that too obvious?

Would I have to repeat this in person in the  actual hearing or would I have to produce something else ?  I want to be also prepared for this any pointers guys How to prepare for the actual day ?

What do you mean by paper-based ?
  • poppy123456
    Options

That's really good you must have a real talent for writing enough evidence etc. My recent PIP was paperbased but I don't know if I'll get that lucky again

Talent? I just wrote the truth and included a couple real world incidents per descriptor that applied.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks everyone,   should I try to link the issues I’m having on a daily basis  to any of the descriptors or is that too obvious?

Would I have to repeat this in person in the  actual hearing or would I have to produce something else ?  I want to be also prepared for this any pointers guys How to prepare for the actual day ?

What do you mean by paper-based ?
    Linking it to the descriptors is okay I think, you need to spell it out to them.

I haven't been to a tribunal but I'd imagine they ask more detail about anything they're unsure of or wasn't clear in your answers.

Paper-based means they do the assessment without you needing to have an assessment, just by the written evidence you send them. 
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options

Talent? I just wrote the truth and included a couple real world incidents per descriptor that applied.
    I don't know if talent is the wrong word maybe? I meant you must be good at writing it up clearly and doing everything you need to do so they can make a decision just paper based. Like knowing all the important stuff to include. 
  • poppy123456
    Options

I don't know if talent is the wrong word maybe? I meant you must be good at writing it up clearly and doing everything you need to do so they can make a decision just paper based. Like knowing all the important stuff to include. 
    Yes, I think talent is the wrong word here. I just told it as it is. I found my daughters PIP claim a lot easier than my own and she’s had 2 paper based assessments. 
    I find it easier talking about her than myself, which is understandable because no one likes talking about how their conditions affect them.

• Biblioklept
    Options
    I don't think I'm very good at explaining myself sometimes and pick the wrong word more and more often. I'm sorry if I upset you @poppy123456
    I agree with that, I could write much more about other people than I could myself. It's harder to notice all the stuff you struggle with yourself too I think as you work to find ways around them.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I'm not a fan of writing about myself either. I think it is difficult to write about my own strengths too!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Writing about our own strengths is probably much harder than writing about things we find difficult! That's a good idea for a thread though @L_Volunteer. Would you mind if I borrowed the idea to make a discussion thread?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don't think I'm very good at explaining myself sometimes and pick the wrong word more and more often. I'm sorry if I upset you @poppy123456

Sorry i missed this today, been busy most of the day with my grandson, he sure does keep me on my toes. No, you didn't upset me at all.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    That would be fine with me @Biblioklept. Please feel free to go ahead with creating a discussion thread  :)

I hope you enjoyed your time with your grandson @poppy123456 :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • stuartperry
    Options
    so paper-based means you don't even need to go to the hearing?

if I actually need to go, how do I prepare myself and what should I expect? 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2022
    Options
    so paper-based means you don't even need to go to the hearing?

if I actually need to go, how do I prepare myself and what should I expect? 

You need to prepare yourself to attend the hearing, whether this will be in person or by telephone, i don't know. Paper based hearings for Tribunal have an extremely low success rate, something like between 3-8%.
    If you haven't done those real world incidents i mentioned above then you need to do this. First take a look at the descriptors to see which one you think applies to you and then focus on that.
  • stuartperry
    Options
    Could I send appointment letters for evidence

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.