What are your favourite civilisations from history? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your favourite civilisations from history?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,781 Disability Gamechanger
I like the Romans and I think I would want to live as a Roman if I had to choose a civilisation from around that far back. They seemed quite advanced for their age (engineering, military and also their social structure and rights for citizens).

I also find the Vikings very interesting but I absolutely wouldn’t want to be a Viking or be anywhere near them!

What about you?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Egyptian I think, but I’d have to be a non manual worker, far too hot there for moving huge great heavy lumps of sandstone about! Pyramid designer would do, oh, but I wouldn’t want to be involved in any secret chambers, far too risky. Actually forget it, I’ll be a Roman too. 🤣

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As someone who studied Egyptology and Ancient History at university, you can take a good guess that my favourite is the Ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans :) 

While I have an interest in all different types of older civilisations, the interactions between those 3 shaped a lot of things we use today in western society, like you've mentioned @66Mustang.

Obviously no civilisation is perfect, and a lot of them sort to conquer and rule over others, and to erase other cultures to elevate their own, but their impact is certainly lasting!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @leeCal hehe good points :)

@Alex_Scope if you want to answer/have time to, what is your favourite fact about each of those 3 that we probably don’t know?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That's okay, it's a good test of my very rusty knowledge @66Mustang

Egyptians: If a man divorced his wife, he had to return her dowry (if she had brought one) and pay her a fine; if she divorced him, there was no fine.

Greeks: In ancient Greece, the unibrow was fashionable, a symbol of beauty and intelligence!

Romans: When the Roman's invaded Egypt, they actually adopted many of the countries cultural ideas, such as temple design, and even some gods/goddesses. 
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leeCal @Alex_Scope

Have you ever been to Egypt? I've been couple of times and just in awe of hos they built all those structures that are still standing now with the limited tools they had at the time 

Also that the pyramids are just across the road to urban street and not in tr middle of expensive part of desert 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you @Alex_Scope, really interesting :smiley:
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I have been, to Luxor and a Nile cruise to the south, so not the Northern parts. I'd like to go back one day :)

It's certainly impressive @janer1967, some of my favourite memories are seeing some of the paint they used in temple decoration has survived this long too!
    Scope

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My first thought was Roman too but then I don't think women were treated very well and I'd be too outspoken about that so probably wouldn't get on very well. 
    I think I'd need to research and find one!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I was obsessed with Egypt growing up so maybe ancient Egyptian, but a quick Google pointed to Etruscans or Spartans would maybe suit me <3
  • 66Mustang
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Biblioklept I may be wrong but I think Viking women were treated well for the time at least, not the enemies obviously but the actual citizens. I read that they had the same rights to property etc as men and could have power if they came into it. Like I said may be wrong though. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    That's interesting to know!

I wonder if anyone from those civilisations could see us now (and get over the shock), whether they'd choose to live here in our world / civilisation?
  • 66Mustang
    edited June 2022
    Options
    That’s a good question!!! “What we can’t have slaves? How rubbish is that?”

On a kind of similar note I often wonder is what we are currently doing that is acceptable today that in say 500 years will be unacceptable.

For example 500 years ago it was totally normal to treat certain groups badly and they wouldn’t have known that in the future it would become unacceptable. I’m sure we are doing things today that in 500 more years will be just as unacceptable if that makes sense?

I reckon maybe eating meat may be an example? But that’s just a random wild speculation lol.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I think eating meat will probably be one of them yeah. 

Things seems to change very quickly especially the last 100 years. Even more recently. Things that were common usage and pretty accepted when I was in school aren't now.

Even what people consider acceptable in terms of clothing has changed massively in last 100 years. Look at bathing suits!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Yes that’s a good point that things are changing much more quickly these days. Some of the things I heard at school and, dare I say it, some of the words I used myself, would be totally inappropriate today!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.