I received My PIP award letter today, feeling very upset and disappointed. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I received My PIP award letter today, feeling very upset and disappointed.

Options
AmberLily28
AmberLily28 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
I received my award letter today and was awarded the standard rate of the mobility part. 

I'm very disappointed and hurt by what the decision maker has put as his reasons behind this. Especially because he has said that low mood was not detected In phone call repeatedly, I find this extremely hurtful as I went in depth with the assessor about my low moods on more days than not, how I struggle to even leave my bed most days and was asked about my suicidal thoughts and again explained how they are a regular occurrence most days and how I feel completely worthless and question why I am here every single day. He has even put that he feels that things he hasn't awarded points for me on are not only because he doesn't feel they are due to low mood as this was not displayed during the phone call but that they are likely just because of lack of incidences of doing these things example dressing and undressing and washing and bathing due to not needing to as I don't leave the house. 

After reading this report I feel very upset and like I've not been heard. I was considering a mandatory reconsideration as I do feel there are points I should of scored and haven't but I feel so upset with what the decision maker has said that I'm now feeling very hopeless and extremely depressed. 

Comments

• AmberLily28
    Options
    @Teddybear12

Thank you for your response. I will try not to think about it for a few days, however right now I cant get the words out of my mind. I also requested a copy of the assessor report and should receive that soon and I'm dreading reading that now. I will look Into the site you provided and see if there is any help available to me locally. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @AmberLily28 I'm so sorry to hear that you've not got the outcome you were hoping for from your PIP application, and I can understand why you're feeling upset. It's very disappointing when we feel we haven't been heard. Do you feel you should have been awarded more points in mobility, daily living, or both?

Make sure you take some time to process this and to look after your mental health if you can, then when you feel ready to, you can read about your options for challenging a PIP decision on the Turn2Us website.

As Teddybear has suggested, another good starting point is having a search on Advice Local for a professional adviser near you, this can help you decide if you have a strong enough case to move forward with a Mandatory Reconsideration. 

If there's anything further we can help with, please do let us know, we're here to support you :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AmberLily28 - as Teddybear12 suggests, please now put your decision letter away. Please don't take it to heart, as the DWP unfortunately use some 'cut & paste' answers, such as they couldn't detect a low mood, routinely. I wish they knew how hurtful such comments can be to the recipients.
    I would look into doing a written Mandatory Reconsideration. Again as Teddybear12 suggests, trying to get some local advice about this would be helpful, so do try the link given above.
  • AmberLily28
    Options
    @Alex_Scope

It is very disappointing when we feel we haven't been heard, I feel that on the daily living Is where I was underscored most especially on things like eating and drinking due to low mood I rarely cook myself food or eat at all sometimes for days and if I do eat it usually just one meal for a day with days passing before the next meal but it has been said I have no difficulty at all preparing food or eating and drinking. And also mixing with others k scored 4 points, however I cant even mix with family members more times than not, I can't open my front door to a anyone, im unable to even take my bins outside for myself incase someone is out there due to my agoraphobia and anxiety but he has noted because I took the phone call and had a family member added to the call I can do this just with support. Also things like washing and dressing myself he said I have no difficulty doing and only don't do this because I dont leave the house so it isnt necessary. I feel I should be awarded points in both these as its not because I dont leave the house I do not do these things its due to low mood and in turn low mood causing lack of motivation as I said I rarely leave my bed and if i do it's normally just to then lay on the sofa all day due to my depression. 

He made a point that I'm no longer on my medications, however the reason for this is due to not being able to attend any medical appointments which he did state from evidence he can see this.

I scored 10 points on the mobility part and he did state that I cannot do any journey due to my anxiety, so I do think that is fair.

Are these services free or do they cost to get help? 

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    @AmberLily28 when you use Advice Local you'll find details of independent advice organisations in your area who may be able to help. They will usually be able to offer free advice and support, and help to answer any questions you have.

As other members have suggested, when you feel ready, asking them for help with a Mandatory Reconsideration would be a good next step :)

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to access your medication at the moment, is this something your GP is aware of? Do you feel you need more support managing day to day right now?
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• AmberLily28
    Options
    @chiarieds
    I wish they did too, especially when it comes to mental health, I've struggled at times being able to express what I'm feeling due to feeling I won't be believed or will be told to just get on with it or its not a big deal and thats exactly what it feels like to me. I know im probably being very sensitive and over thinking things right now and hopefully in a few days will feel less hurt by the comments. 

I will look into the site provided, would it come under welfare or disability section, do you know?
  • chiarieds
    Options
    I think how you feel is totally understandable @AmberLily28 - from the drop down menu on advicelocal's website,you would select 'Welfare benefits'
  • AmberLily28
    Options
    @Alex_Scope

Thank you for the Information. I will look into doing all this possibly on Monday if I feel In a better headspace. 

It was suggested to me on my previous thread to keep a diary, which I will also do the only thing I'm unsure on is am I able to provide extra evidence with the Mandatory Reconsideration, or is that done solely on the information they already have now? 

It is something my GP is aware of, he is also aware of my anxiety surrounding taking medication too and also how my anxiety prevents me from getting medical help not only for mental health but for a chronic brain condition that needs monitoring regularly. Nothing has been put in place to help this which I understand is due to me not being able to attend appointments for help, I did use to have an at home mental health team that came to check on me and give me my medication daily but as this was a crisis team after a suicide attempt once I wasn't in crisis anymore I was discharged back to my GP again and of course unable to collect prescriptions, I had a family member doing this for me until lockdown in 2020 and since then have not been able to arrange a medical appointment to sort this out due to my anxiety surrounding speaking to people on the phone or an in person appointment due to my agoraphobia.

Day to day I do struggle however I do live with my boyfriend so he does help me where he can however he works fulltime and long hours so I am mostly alone so alot of the things I need help with, like making phone calls relating to my health or when i was on my medication and needing my prescription picked up I do have to ask family members to help usually my mum, but as we don't live together and she also works full time from home it makes it difficult at times, and I dont like adding stress to others lives I carry alot of guilt for the way I am and so usually will not ask for help until I really have no other choice. 
  • AmberLily28
    Options
    @chiarieds

Thanks for the help, I'm unsure if I'm doing it wrong or if there is no help in my area as I put My post code and clicked welfare benefits and the only advice available is for housing benefit and the contact details are all for my local councils office for housing. 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @AmberLily28 - I'm sorry about that as I hoped it would come up with a Welfare Rights Office or Citizens Advice near you.
    Anyway, take the weekend off thinking about this, & then, as Alex says, members will advise about the Mandatory Reconsideration, & yes, you can add any extra evidence, making sure that it's relevant.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Okay @AmberLily28 I'm glad you're giving yourself sometime to feel better and get into a better headspace, that's a really positive step. 

Regarding the Mandatory Reconsideration, when you explain why you disagree with their decision, tell the DWP:
    • How many points you think you should have scored for each activity
    • What you think they did not take into account about your disability
    • Give examples of things they should consider
    So to answer I would say, if you are able to, you should provide extra evidence, in this case written examples of things they should consider, or did not take into account.

Thank you for explaining everything around your anxieties and the help you are receiving from family and friends, it really helpful to get a fuller picture. I know these are difficult things to work through but you should never be made to feel guilty (even by yourself) for asking for help, especially when you need it. Perhaps if you are able, see about getting in touch with your GP via email to discuss how to better access your medication.

Let us know if you feel we can offer any additional support with this, as it's important that you have access to the care resources that you need day to day :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.