Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Would paying off my IVA and credit card with pension pot affect my UC?

Options
TheOriginalDoubleG
TheOriginalDoubleG Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello people.  I'm new to Universal Credit.  I'm looking for some help :-)

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,142 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @TheOriginalDoubleG - & welcome to the community. Please say what your query is about UC, & I'm sure someone will help. :)
  • TheOriginalDoubleG
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds,  I'm looking to pay off my IVA and credit card with some money from my small pension pot that is available to me in Aug.  Would this affect my UC? 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Taking from the pension could but paying off debt isn't seen as deprivation. @calcotti is really good with universal credit and so is @poppy123456 so they may be able to help answer you <3
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,515 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's correct @Biblioklept. Savings of up to £6,000 are ignored anyway. If this amount takes your total savings on the last day of your assessment period to more than £6,000 then there's a £4.35 per month deduction for every £250 or part there of over this amount.
    Savings of more than £16,000 will end your UC and any other means tested benefits you maybe claiming.
    If you're also taking a weekly/monthly draw down then this will reduce your UC £1 for £1 so it's not worth doing this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TheOriginalDoubleG
    Options
    The money will leave my account almost the moment it hits.  I'm 55 in aug but not planning on retiring yet.  I'm looking at taking £7000 and pay it out straightaway 😎 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best to do it in middle of your assessment period not close to the end and also keep any receipts or stuff showing what it has been spent on. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.