B12 deficiency — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

B12 deficiency

Options
Broreb1981
Broreb1981 Community member Posts: 160 Courageous
I have fibromyalgia. I have been in terrible pain since march, tired and just feel not right. I have really painful feet, hands, neck, hips. Bloating, needing to wee loads, headaches. Just strange things all at once. 
My doctor did blood tests for RA but they appear normal. But I have raised white blood cells and b12 deficiency. I went on Tuesday for a follow up blood test after taking tablets for a month and it appears they haven't worked because I got a phone call last night asking me to come today for another blood test. Could this be pernicious anemia. Do you have inflammation with this condition

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,502 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Broreb1981 sorry to read that you have been in so much pain. Your dr is doing the right thing trying to get on top of what's going on.  I know it's easy to say that's its best to wait for the blood test results and try not to worry untill then. Your gp will have the answers to your questions, when you next see them with the results. I wish you well with your results. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Broreb1981 :) I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been well recently, and that the tablets you were given might not be working. 

We're not able to give medical advice here on the community, but I do understand that you're just looking to hear from others who may have been in a similar position. 

You can read a little bit of information about pernicious anaemia on the NHS website, though I imagine your doctor would be able to provide some additional information on this if it's relevant to you. 

How did your blood test go on Friday? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Broreb1981
    Options
    Thank you I understand. They are checking my b12, leukocytes and something else and now they have mentioned ceolic. I'm so confused and no one is telling me what they are actually doing. I think I should call them tomorrow. I'm scared it's cancer 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    It can be really worrying when medical professionals don't communicate with you too clearly @Broreb1981. If you're concerned, it could be worth ringing them tomorrow to see if they can give you any more updates. Did they say when they'd talk through the blood test results with you? 

• Broreb1981
    Options
    No they didn't. I'm going to ring them tomorrow it might put my mind at rest 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan @Broreb1981 :) 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,219 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I have vitamin B12 deficiency and was diagnosed with it probably about 7 years ago, maybe longer. If it's caused from poor diet you'll be given a short treatment of tablets.
    If it's not caused by diet then you'll need treatment through B12 injections, this is how i'm treated for mine. When first diagnosed i had the injections a few times a week for the first couple of weeks. After this it was every 3 months, my treatment is ongoing and will be for the rest of my life.
    In my personal experience with this condition is it's never caused inflamation but i certainly know when i'm due to have the injection because i start to feel quite poorly. Thankfully within a couple of hours of having the B12 injection i do start to feel better.
    Please note that this is by no means medical advice because we're not allowed to give that. This is just my personal experience.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.