Hi, my name is dogmamma! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dogmamma!

Options
dogmamma
dogmamma Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. New here! I’ve recently been medically retired after 20yrs of career. Awarded contributions based support group new style esa. 
Looking forward to the support and advice on this group for the next phase of my life.

Comments

• dogmamma
    dogmamma Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I’m 44 so feels weird to see myself as retired. In the months leading up to it I was anxious, scared, sad, guilty that I’d ‘failed’ to keep my job, to progress as I’d wanted due to my health, worried about finances as pension is minimal compared to my salary. But also in limbo as I was off sick for a while. Then, almost as soon as ‘the day’ arrived, just after, I felt relief. And emotional health wise almost immediate improvement. 
    I have time to be a little bit alive not just surviving. I am a better parent and partner and friend as I have more time for self care and I’m feeling more able to manage my health issues - mostly by napping when no one is looking 😂 
    thank you for the welcome, I’ll pop over for a ‘coffee’ in the lounge soon. 

I have lots of questions but will check some of the forums first as might find answers there. 
  • ALTALAQA12
    ALTALAQA12 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
  • Padraig
    Padraig Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi dogmamma, I guess you have a furry friend or two!

I was about your age when I had to give up my career. I’m 54 now and I hadn’t financially planned at all. But I have changed my spending habits drastically as they say ‘ less is more!’

The biggest change I found was the amount of free time I had. A job is so much more than money. I didn’t cope very well at first, loss of identity, peer group, not being a bread winner. But I came through it and found purposeful things to do. Finding a new routine/structure helped a lot. I loved my job and still miss it but find fulfilment in helping others, (I’m great at form filing which most people hate so have been lucky enough to help others navigate PiP, time in nature, read some of the piles of books I was saving for retirement. Life is a different pace but I’m sure you’ll find your path.
  • ALTALAQA12
    ALTALAQA12 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.