If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Anyone else have trouble getting PIP after a head injury?

Options
ice24
ice24 Scope Member Posts: 9 Courageous
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Anyone else have trouble getting pip after a head injury? I was in a crash 5 years ago and had a head injury with no memory of getting home.  I had a seizure a week later while holding a boiling kettle scalding myself.  I get pip for fibro etc but not memory problems. Anyone get pip for memory problems with forgetting driving instructions etc?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ice24 welcome to scope, are you sure you should be driving ? I stopped driving after my first seizure and will never drive again.
    On PIP you get PIP for the issues you have with daily living and or mobility, not the illness or condition.

2024 Election won

• emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    Know the feeling I completely lost my memory 8_10 years ago have brain injuries can't get diddle for it .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ice24 said:
     Anyone get pip for memory problems with forgetting driving instructions etc?

PIP isn't about your ability to drive. You said you have trouble getting PIP but you're already claiming it. Whether it's possible to score more points for higher award, will totally depend on exactly how your conditions affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    ice24 said:
    Anyone else have trouble getting pip after a head injury? I was in a crash 5 years ago and had a head injury with no memory of getting home.  I had a seizure a week later while holding a boiling kettle scalding myself.  I get pip for fibro etc but not memory problems. Anyone get pip for memory problems with forgetting driving instructions etc?

I had a fractured skull and brain damage 20 years ago.  I informed the DVLA and I was banned from driving until I could prove that my injury was no longer a problem.  Fortunately I never had seizures.
    Putting aside that your condition is not taken into account for PIP, just how your condition affects you, if you had a brain injury that affects your driving you are legally bound to inform the DVLA which may result in your licence being suspended until you have proof that you can drive safely again.
    Quite rightly so.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The thread you have just posted on is 4 years old. Hopefully OP has progressed things since then.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    Well no
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,995 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    The thread you have just posted on is 4 years old. Hopefully OP has progressed things since then.
    I thought that at first too :D but when you hover over it it's actually 18 July 2022
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I thought that at first too :D but when you hover over it it's actually 18 July 2022
    Sorry - brain melt!
    Apologies, woodburner.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.