Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

ESA, PIP, UC claim

Options
alilala
alilala Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi All! So I'm having a bit of a melt down! I've been off long term sick from work, my SSP ended 4th June as the company went into administration. I've had emergency appendectomy, they found 2 growths one of which is benign, the other they are monitoring. I've got Coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, IBS and anxiety and depression, and they think I have Osteoarthritis. I Have applied for PIP, my assessment was May 27th, still waiting for a decision, how long will it take? I've been awarded £77pw ESA, UC has awarded housing benefit £344pm and my rent is £480, so i'm trying to live on approx £168pm for Bills, fuel, food, rent shortfall and arrears etc. How can anyone live like this is beyond me, i'm really struggling. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP decisions can take between 2-12 weeks after the assessment report is returned to DWP.
    Unless you're either living in temporary housing or supported housing then your rent will be included in your UC known as housing element, not housing benefit.
    Have you reported a change of circumstances for your UC and reported your health condition? You'll need to send in fit notes, without any gaps until a decision's been made on your work capability assessment. If you've done this has your work coach referred you for the work capability assesment? (WCA)
    Once a decision's been made on the WCA if found to have LCWRA then you'll be entitled to an extra £354.28 per month from the 4th month after you reported your health condition.
    If you're privately renting and you're under 35 if you're successfully awarded at least daily living PIP then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA rather than the shared rate.
    IN the meantime as you have a shortfall of rent then you can apply to your Local Authority for a discretionary housing payment. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments
    If you haven't already applied for council tax reduction you can do this through your local Authority.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • alilala
    Options
    Hi Poppy, Thank you for your answer. I have sent in fit notes since the 11th March 2022, no gaps. The housing element is the only thing UC are paying me @£344pm. I am in social housing. My son lives with me & cares for me, so they are deducting £77pm. I have asked on my Journal several times for the WCA, and they have basically said "All in due course", so i'm still waiting. I have applied for a council tax rebate, and they have put my case on hold for 6 weeks, they have also filled in a DHP form for me, to cover my housing arrears which is currently around the £1k mark. I suppose it's just a waiting game. What are my chances of qualifying for PIP? At least then everything else will fall into place financially, if I'm entitled! Thank you 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @alilala :) It sounds as though you've got a lot on your plate at the moment, so thanks for sharing some information about your situation with us. 

I can see that poppy123456 has given you some advice above. Please do take a look at that, and let us know whether you have any further questions. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your mental health, and have also been experiencing some physical health problems. Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your mental and physical health conditions at the moment? 
    I'm having a bit of a melt down!
    I was also wondering whether you'd feel comfortable explaining a little more about what you mean by this?

Many people are struggling with the cost of living at the moment, especially managing energy bills. If you feel you need some advice on this, you might want to check out our Disability Energy Support service :)

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• poppy123456
    Options
    Your New style ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement, which is why you're only receiving the housing element part. Standard element will be included in your calculation.
    If you're successfully awarded daily living PIP there will be no non dependant deductions and you will be owed some money for those deductions.
    Unfortunately, no one here can tell you if your PIP claim will be successful because we don't know how your conditions affect you.
    Have you filled out the work capability assessment form yet? Waiting times for the work capability assessment are quite long in most areas and some are waiting several months or more. You'll likely need an assessment for this because most people have them. Once an appointment becomes available you will be contacted.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • alilala
    Options
    Hi Poppy/Tori, I haven't been given a WCA form yet. AS for my mental health Tori, all I do is cry.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Your work coach for UC should have referred you by now. You can put a message onto your journal to ask to be referred. Though as your ESA claim would be a recent one because your SSP didn't end until 4th June, you will likely receive one in the post question soon. There's only one assessment needed because it's the same process of ESA and UC.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Your New style ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement, which is why you're only receiving the housing element part.

Coming back to this, which is a little misleading because i didn't realise when i typed this that your ESA claim wouldn't have started until your SSP ended which was 4th June, so your UC payment weren't being reduced because of the ESA.
    It was being reduced because SSP is classed as earnings so would have reduced your UC by 55%.
    As you're now claiming ESA as well as UC your UC will be reduced again by the ESA. So please be aware of this when you receive your next UC payment. You're not financially better off by claiming both together. Your overall benefit entitlement will remain the same.
    If you're found to have either LCW/LCWRA then you will have the work allowance, which means they will owe you money because of the earnings deductions. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    AS for my mental health Tori, all I do is cry.

I'm sorry to hear that @alilala. It seems like things are quite difficult for you at the moment. Have you spoken to your GP about how you've been feeling?

• alilala
    Options
    Hi Tori, I have seen my GP he put me on Sertraline 3 months ago. Although my panic attacks have ceased, it has done nothing for my depression. I feel my financial woes are an obvious contributor to this, as I see no future gains at this present time. I have been speaking to MIND on a weekly basis, the lady is lovely and let's me rattle on and have a cry, she suggests things like positive thinking, coping strategies, doing something nice for myself, and getting out of the house etc. I have mobility issues and can't afford to put fuel in the car, so getting out is futile at the moment. I have noisy neighbours, at all angles to the rear of my home, so even sitting in the garden is a no go area for me. All I seem to do is to sit and worry about PIP, did I fill the form in correctly, did I miss something out, will it not match my Video assessment I had, did I say the right things, when will I have a decision etc etc. It's consuming my mind 24/7 I had just come out of hospital when I started my claim, and was not at my best physically or mentally, and all the form filling from the various departments have scrambled my brain to be honest with you. She (MIND) told me to also try to focus on the positive things the assessor said to me, but I just thought they would say this to everyone: "Well, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get PIP, given all that you have going on at the moment, and the great thing is you won't have to reapply for another 2 years. When you get the review form, just put No Change on the questions they require" I just wish i could feel positive about it, but I don't. Sorry for rambling on!!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    alilala said:
    the assessor said to me, but I just thought they would say this to everyone: "Well, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get PIP, given all that you have going on at the moment, and the great thing is you won't have to reapply for another 2 years. When you get the review form, just put No Change on the questions they require" I just wish i could feel positive about it, but I don't. Sorry for rambling on!!

They are not supposed to say anything to you at all because it's not their place to do that. They don't make decisions, only a decision maker from DWP can do this.
    If your PIP was successful, at review you don't reapply because you'll already have a PIP award in place. A review is shorter forms but putting "no change" is not advised.
    Perfectly normal to feel this way when waiting for a decision.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad the Mind lady has been helpful and kind @alilala :) 

Though everyone's different, it can take a little while for people to feel the full effect of medications like sertraline. Have you been checking in with your GP to let them know how you've been finding it? 

Do you have any friends or family members who'd be able to help you get out of the house a little more? 

It may also be worth taking a look to see whether there are any charities or other organisations in your area who could help you get out and about, or connect you with people in a similar situation to help you take your mind off of the worries a little. 

Is there anything you can do inside the house that usually helps to distract you or make you feel calmer? For example, when I'm stressed or anxious, I like to play sudoku, watch TV, listen to music, read, and so on.

You don't need to apologise, you're not rambling on at all :)

• alilala
    Options
    Good morning all! Just an update to tell you I have been awarded PIP for daily living and Mobility and my WCA is in 2 weeks time. Finally everything is coming together, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I've even applied for a blue badge which will make things easier for me too x

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Fantastic, well done @alilala :) Thank you for updating us!

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.