Autism, young adult, independent living, PIP, Housing help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism, young adult, independent living, PIP, Housing help

Options
RJS67
RJS67 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2022 in Housing and independent living
Our son is 23, and we're looking for independent living placements - he is independent to the point where he won't be in a flat with other young adults with SEN, but we're hoping to get him a flat as follows and wanted to know...

He gets pip (sorry for the older figures - it's what I had to hand)

PIP Daily Living - Enhanced = £89.60
PIP Mobility - Enhanced = £62.55
Employment and Support Allowance Award ** = 135.35 **

**(Living expenses - £77.00, Disability Income guarantee - £17.75, Extra money because he's in a support group - £40.60)

Our question is: will the local authority help our son with his rent, or does he need to pay his rent out of the benefits he already receives? 

Regards

Diane

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,294 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    For help with any rent he'll need to claim Universal Credit, unless he'll be living in either supported housing or temporary housing. If he claims UC this will end Income Related ESA.
    If he claims UC then he'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of his claim.
    If he does move to his own place then if no one's claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after him then before claiming UC he should claim the Severe disability Premium (part of ESA) this will then entitle him to the SDP transitional protection in with his UC maximum entitlement.
    If he'll be privately renting the he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. See the rates here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RJS67
    Options
    So, if he's privately renting - we claim the UC for him but part of that is made up of the LHA, or the LHA is on top of the UC? 

We just want all our ducks in a row before we start thinking about location as near to us as possible. 

Thank you in advance

Diane
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    his UC will include his replacement for ESA and his standard personal allowance and then an extra element part to cover his housing costs as well
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,294 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    UC is one payment made up of many different elements. So housing costs known as housing element will be included. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That was much more eloquently put! Thank you <3
  • RJS67
    Options
    Thank you for your help with this. Diane x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.