I Am Being Bullied By Neighbours & Housing Association — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I Am Being Bullied By Neighbours & Housing Association

Options
oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
I don't know if anyone can advise on this.. It drags on although I am trying to keep it brief... Thank you folks

For years now. Probably nearly thirty years now I have had to put up with bullying from neighbours, It started off with the one neighbour, then a new neighbour moved in they got a flavour for bullying, then another neighbour moved in, they started bullying also...
This neighbour (the last one) has a son who works for the same Housing Association, he also started.
But because I never bowed down to his parents bullying ways he has become a serious bully.
There are several incidents that I could tell you about but I am trying to keep this brief.

I have prepared a brief statement ready for when I get a txt I get off H. A. I usually get these when I have had a household repair. Asking about the workmanship.

I am as I am getting older hearing folks regularly saying Freedom of Speech.  I want to send this document in the return txt. 

But I am worried on what the consequence could be. Could the H.A., make me homeless for criticising the last three area managers. Also their work colleague, the electrician?

Only a few weeks ago, another neighbour who used to be decent, then turned nasty because of the gangland culture. Patronised me and was Gaslighting me.
Asking me why wouldn't I speak to her no more? 
I went ballistic calling her the C word also used the F and B words. I was expecting a call from the H.A. or the Police telling me off. Nothing.

But this bullying is affecting me. I get frustrated in bed at night and embarrassed to say I get teary.
One more thing. The Housing Association has warned me not to touch anyone.
"Otherwise you and your brother will be out"
Violence is not tolerated. But, I am getting to the stage where I "may" do something. And I will be arrested. 
Folks you can put two and two together.

The Police have been no better at sorting the problems. I was once called a Coward by the electrician parent because I contacted the police years ago. You have to call the Police because you cannot sort it yourself. You are a Coward
I cannot win. The problems have affected my sleep also

Folks what do I do. Thanking you

I cannot afford to see a solicitor. Also the solicitor will probably treat this as a trivial/menial problem

Again Thanking you all

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This might be something that your MP might be useful to get involved, could you go to one of his/her surgeries? or even just e mail them?, bullying is never something any of us should have to endure.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @oldngrumpy :) 

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing bullying. As woodbine has said, this isn't something any of us should have to endure. 

I know that you've mentioned patronising and gaslighting, but would you mind explaining a little more about the kind of bullying you've been experiencing?

In terms of making a complaint about the area managers and electrician, I'm not sure whether this could put your tenancy at risk or not. Have you checked the housing association's complaints procedure to see what's involved? 

Shelter may be able to give you some advice on your rights. 

I'd encourage you to continue reporting any incidences of bullying to the police. Though they're not always able to take action every time, reporting it each time it happens can sometimes help them to build up a picture of what's happening, if that makes sense. 

True Vision have a page on reporting bullying and harassment, which you might find helpful. 

Victim Support are another organisation you might want to get in touch with. They offer a range of services totally confidentially. 

If you start to feel angry, or as though you might lash out, I'd encourage you to take yourself away from the situation and do something that helps you to calm down, such as listening to music or going for a walk. 

Is your GP aware of what's been going on, and how it's been affecting you? There's no need to feel embarrassed about crying at all. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @oldngrumpy

I just wanted to drop in here to check in with you? How have things been this past week?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    @oldngrumpy maybe this will help https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/problems-where-you-live/if-your-neighbour-is-complaining-about-you/

https://asbhelp.co.uk/neighbourhood-disputes/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/repairs-what-are-your-options-if-you-are-a-social-housing-tenant/how-to-report-repairs/

It's never easy when there is disagreement with neighbours. What has caused the problem is usually what the focus should be on. If it's an organisation you should go through their complaints procedure. Stick to facts not hearsay or who doesn't like who because of scenario.

If it is repairs and you don't like the way the repair has been carried out then you need to contact the organisation or housing association that dealt with it. 

Also you need to look at your tenancy for what it says about antisocial behaviour. 

It's natural to feel defensive when something concerns you (believe me I KNOW!) but remember to stick to the facts of the situation and focus on what is causing the problem. 

If it's feedback you wanted to give to the housing then look for their feedback form or link or ask them for a feedback form. 

Hope things get easier.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A really supportive and insightful thread. Thanks everyone for continuing to contribute to making this a supportive and friendly space. 

If anyone needs any further support please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for each other  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.