LCWRA. Does everyone in the LCWRA group get extra money or is it just some people? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA. Does everyone in the LCWRA group get extra money or is it just some people?

Options
Code94
Code94 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there I’m new just needed some adviceI’ve seen a lot of other posts with the same question so here goes… I lost of job in October due to my severe mental health issues so I made a claim to universal credit, I provided them with my first fit note on the 1st of march etc had the telephone assessment and then received a message on my journal on the 30th may saying I have been awarded the LCWRA element and I would receive a message in 7 days if they owe me any money I haven’t got any message from them I have been getting my usual allowance on the 16th of every month, I’m new to UC so I don’t understand any of it I was only getting tax credits before and that was it, does everyone in the LCWRA group get extra money or is it just some people? Thank you for listening 

Code 

Comments

• Code94
    Options
    Code94 said:
    Hi there I’m new just needed some adviceI’ve seen a lot of other posts with the same question so here goes… I lost of job in October due to my severe mental health issues so I made a claim to universal credit, I provided them with my first fit note on the 1st of march etc had the telephone assessment and then received a message on my journal on the 30th may saying I have been awarded the LCWRA element and I would receive a message in 7 days if they owe me any money I haven’t got any message from them I have been getting my usual allowance on the 16th of every month, I’m new to UC so I don’t understand any of it I was only getting tax credits before and that was it, does everyone in the LCWRA group get extra money or is it just some people? Thank you for listening 

Code 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Code94 said:.. does everyone in the LCWRA group get extra money or is it just some people? 
    If you are found to have LCWRA you get extra money from the fourth month unless you live with a partner who is already getting the LCWRA element.
    If you reported your health condition in March you are due extra money from the payment in July.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So next month, that's good @code94! Really quick decision and turn around for you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As the extra money is paid from July, no money is owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bart70
    bart70 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    They don’t count the first 3 months from your first fit note. Another way they use UC to cut the benefits bill down. However if you have paid enough NI stamp it is worth claiming the new style ESA as this pays your NI stamp every month and as it fortnightly helps with budgeting and they will use your UC assessment for your ESA. However they will deduct the ESA from your UC pound for pound but your still get some UC. I claim UC, NS ESA and PIP and they have made my reassessment for all 3 for the same date which means I probably will only have one assessment for all 3. Hope that’s of some help. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    bart70 said:
    They don’t count the first 3 months from your first fit note. Another way they use UC to cut the benefits bill down. However if you have paid enough NI stamp it is worth claiming the new style ESA as this pays your NI stamp every month 
    The waiting period has nothing to do with cutting the benefits bill down. There was always a waiting period when claiming ESA, which is 13 weeks. 
    NI credits are also paid when claiming UC, though it is class 3 where as NsESA is class 1. 
    A claim for NsESA can only be made is the OP has paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021.
    bart70 said:
     I claim UC, NS ESA and PIP and they have made my reassessment for all 3 for the same date which means I probably will only have one assessment for all 3. Hope that’s of some help. 

That’s not quite correct. Assessments for PIP have nothing to do with work capability assessments. So there will be a separate assessment for PIP.
    For ESA and UC it’s exactly the same work capability assessment, so you will only have 1.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Aren't they trialling joint assessments though @poppy123456? I'm really scared for when that comes into place.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Aren't they trialling joint assessments though @poppy123456? I'm really scared for when that comes into place.

As far as i'm aware they were considering it but i've not heard anything saying it's in trial.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Okay then phew. I tried to google but it just came up with stuff about just one provider doing both assessments from 2023
  • tifo
    tifo Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Options
    Aren't they trialling joint assessments ..... I'm really scared for when that comes into place.
    They share data across them at the moment. I've recently been through my WCA assessment and before that PIP assessment. For the appeal the DWP WCA bundle included my PIP form, decisions and medical report and both the DWP and panel were quoting from either. I did say it's unfair because PIP and WCA have different criteria but the panel didn't seem bothered.

The DWP even said in their decisions that if I'm ok for daily living, which is what the PIP report said, then i'm OK to work.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    At the moment they are setting up contracts so that one reassessment provider will provide both PIP and ESA assessments. For the time being the assessments remain separate. I am not clear whether this means that information gathered for an ESA assessment may be used more frequently to inform a PIP assessment and vice versa. 
    DWP will, as I understand, continue to investigate combining the assessments into one.

https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/028407-2021?origin=SearchResults&p=1
    A seven year IT contract has been entered into with ATOS to support the PIP assessment service
    https://www.contractsfinder.service.gov.uk/notice/66dd14a3-0f7d-45ef-9b9e-28ed43d322c5?origin=SearchResults&p=1
    The contract makes provision for this contract to be modified to cover ESA and UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thank you calcotti!
    I sent my WCA assessment report to PIP as part of my evidence when I applied because some of what they wrote about me at the assessment I felt was good evidence and I had little outside evidence because I don't really engage with outside agencies. But I worry about when assessment reports get it wrong or make ridiculous comments and then that being used against people for other claims when they share stuff across. Surely they need to get them accurate before they do that more wide spread :( 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope that the above replies have helped to clear that up for you @code94 :) If there's anything you're still unclear about, please do let us know! 

I noticed in your post that you mentioned having severe mental health problems. I'm sorry to hear this. Do you feel you're receiving enough support to help you manage your mental health at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Code94
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies it has been a great help! I have suffered with various different mental health issues ever since I was a child so it’s just the norm for me now but I am getting a lot of support and help that I need so I can get better thank you again everyone for being so helpful!! 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for your positive feedback @Code94. Glad to hear you have found our replies helpful. 

It sounds difficult that you have suffered from various different mental health issues ever since you were a child, even if this does mean that it has become a norm for you now.

Would you like to tell us more about how they make you "suffer" and what helps you when you are struggling?

It is really positive that you are getting a lot of support and help that you need so you can get better.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you or if you have any questions for us that we might be able to answer 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.