My SSP stopped, employer didn't tell me — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My SSP stopped, employer didn't tell me

lcs14
lcs14 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I'm looking for help and advice. I have been on sick leave from work since 24th February this year, 2022. I received SSP and company sick pay in my April and May monthy wage payments. I didn't get anything for March for the sick leave, as the way cut off days work, the SSP and CSP wouldn't be applied to that month's payment so my March pay was all the hours I worked through February.

In my contract, I'm entitled to 15 weeks of company sick pay, paid at pro-rata (I'm a part time worker). My contracted hours are 8 per week, but I work on average 18-25 hours per week (it varies week to week) and this had been the case for the previous year before I went off sick, and before the pandemic when my place of employment was closed and I was on Furlough from April 2020 - January 2021.

However, for my June pay I have received nothing. No CSP and no SSP. My pay balance is quite literally zero. My employer didn't inform me my SSP was ending or I would no longer be receiving it. My CSP should also still apply as it falls under the 15 week period for this month's payment. The end of the 15 week period is 9th June and this date actually applies to my July pay, the way the pay dates work (we are paid for the hours worked the previous month).

I am more concerned and confused about why my SSP was stopped and why I wasn't told it would be stopping. Had I known, I would have applied for ESA so I could have that for when my SSP stopped. I have now applied for this.

Is my company in the right to do this? I don't want to name the company, but it is a large UK based cinema. I have provided fit notes from my doctor and this is applied on my company's rota app - all dates since 24th February until my current in place fit note until 30th June are in place and it states I am off on absence.

My manager has been in contact with payroll and I'm waiting to hear back from them, but I thought I would ask for advice in the meantime and for if payroll get back to me to say this is correct and infact, my payment for June is nothing.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is payable for 28 weeks so unless it's been this amount of time then it shouldn't have stopped.
    To claim New style ESA you will need your SSP1 form as well as a fit note. Have you spoke to your employer? If you haven't then you need to do this.
    If SSP has ended, the ESA can be backdated for a maximum 3 months but it can't be paid at the same time as SSP. You will also need to have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lcs14
    It hasn't been 28 weeks, no. My sick leave started on 24th February 2022.

Does my employer send me the SSP1 form? Because they haven't mentioned this as well as not informing me of the SSP stopping. Do I need to ask them to fill the form out and give it to them?

What reasons would they have for stopping it, if it's under the 28 week period?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    lcs14 said:
    Does my employer send me the SSP1 form? 
    They should send it but many employers are very bad at doing so.
    lcs14 said: What reasons would they have for stopping it, if it's under the 28 week period?
    We can only speculate. On the face of it they shouldn't have.

Have you checked entitlement to Universal Credit? Even if the SSP is ongoing you can, subject to your other circumstances, get UC at the same time.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @Ics14 You say your contracted sick pay is 15 weeks would that make a difference @calcotti
    I have been on long term sick and the firm i work for got HR involved, They never informed me when sick pay would end i think they expect you to know this. My HR sent me SSP1 form via email it was all filled in by them which made it easier when i applied on line for ESA. 
    Have you been paying any NI ?
  • lcs14
    calcotti said:
    lcs14 said:
    Does my employer send me the SSP1 form? 
    They should send it but many employers are very bad at doing so.
    lcs14 said: What reasons would they have for stopping it, if it's under the 28 week period?
    We can only speculate. On the face of it they shouldn't have.

Have you checked entitlement to Universal Credit? Even if the SSP is ongoing you can, subject to your other circumstances, get UC at the same time.
    I do get UC, yes. My first UC payment was on the 4th June and it was £85, since I did receive SSP and some CSP for the month of May (paid on the 23rd May).
  • lcs14
    SueHeath said:
    Morning @Ics14 You say your contracted sick pay is 15 weeks would that make a difference @calcotti
    I have been on long term sick and the firm i work for got HR involved, They never informed me when sick pay would end i think they expect you to know this. My HR sent me SSP1 form via email it was all filled in by them which made it easier when i applied on line for ESA. 
    Did you need to request the SSP1 from them, or did they send it to you automatically?

Yes, I have been paying NI. Last NI contribution was in my April pay. I did not pay NI for my May pay because of the amount I received was much lower (under £500, it was just SSP plus a small amount of CSP) than the April pay.
  • poppy123456
    Have you reported a health condition and sent in fit notes for UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lcs14
    Have you reported a health condition and sent in fit notes for UC?
    Yes. My health condition has been reported to them and I have updated my journal with each new fit note as I receive them from my doctor (they have been every 2 weeks, since my sick start date). UC sent me a form to fill out, to detail my condition, which I did and returned it to them and I included all fit notes I had in place.
  • poppy123456
    If you sent fit notes with the UC50 form they are not classed as evidence that you have a limited capability for work.
  • lcs14
    They had asked for them, so I included them with the form.
  • poppy123456
    It doesn’t ask for fit notes. Infact fit notes is one of things on the “we don’t want to see list “
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    lcs14 said:
    SueHeath said:
    Did you need to request the SSP1 from them, or did they send it to you automatically?

Yes, I have been paying NI. Last NI contribution was in my April pay. I did not pay NI for my May pay because of the amount I received was much lower (under £500, it was just SSP plus a small amount of CSP) than the April pay.

Yes i requested my ssp1 form 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.