Old wives tales — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Old wives tales

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
Just for fun I thought we could swap old wives tales.

Usually they are sayings or superstitions without much foundation.

For example, holding a buttercup under some chin to see if they like butter, or Feed a cold but starve a fever, actually I believe that one, but those kinds of sayings.

Anyone got any others?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• leeCal
    Options
    If you pull a face and the wind blows you’ll stay that way! 🤪

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,698 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Never put new  shoes on a table
    This comes from putting deceased peoples shoes on a coffin.

That just reminded me, once j put coins over my eyes and said "look what I can do" omg I got biggest telling off ever
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Dont open a brolly in doors, below is why from Google 

Umbrellas have been around for centuries and the original superstition has its origins in ancient Egypt, where umbrellas were used as a shield from the sun, and opening one indoors was disrespectful to the sun god, Ra, who would seek vengeance on the household in which the umbrella was opened.6 Jul 2019
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    most of the ones I recall are unsuitable for a public forum and usually involved going blind  :)
    my maternal grandmother had so many old wives tales I was convince by the age of 9 she was a witch.  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Lol @woodbine it was the  thing back in the day, my grandkids think I'm odd when I say them, there like why. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Dont have anything with wheels in the house when pregnant eg pram 

If you don't stop crying I will give you something to cry about 

Say that again and I will wash your mouth out with soap and water 
  • leeCal
    Options
    Bulls hate the colour red. (Apparently untrue since cattle are colour blind)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A stitch in time saves nine.

I never understood what this means
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    most of the ones I recall are unsuitable for a public forum and usually involved going blind  :)
    :D:D:D
  • Cartini
    Options
    Biblioklept said:

if you sort out a problem immediately it may save a lot of extra work later.

• Cartini
    Options
    There are elements of fact in these two:

Red sky in the morning, sailors warning
    Red sky at night, shepherds delight

• Biblioklept
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Biblioklept said:

if you sort out a problem immediately it may save a lot of extra work later.

Oh!! :D  
  • leeCal
    Options
    @Biblioklept I literally had a small hole in my jeans so I stitched it up because I know the hole will only get bigger. But Cartini is right anyway.

A swallow does not a summer make.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (People look into the mouths of horses when buying to see the condition of their teeth. If it’s, a gift it’s a gift in other words)

Beware of greeks baring gifts (apologies Greeks) this is a reference to the Trojan horse given to the trojans by the Greeks but containing soldiers who later opened the gates and allowed the once impregnable city of Troy to be sacked.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Options
    I had always taken it very literally and couldn't figure out what you could do with just one stitch :D 

• Starlingbird
    Starlingbird Community member Posts: 169 Pioneering
    Options
    My Mum used to say not to eat standing up because it would make your legs fat. I used to envisage all the food dropping down and filling my legs lol.
  • leeCal
    edited June 2022
    Options
    If you spill salt, throw a pinch of it over your left shoulder to counteract the bad luck.

Crossed knives at the table signify a forthcoming quarrel 😳

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I'm loving all these surprised no one has mentioned 
    Don't walk under a ladder as you will occur bad luck 

Basically it's about items falling on you from said ladder, that the person up the ladder may drop on you as you walk under
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When we were kids we used to say "don't tread on the cracks it will break your back " think it was more of a game tho.
  • leeCal
    edited June 2022
    Options
    To protect a house from witches a rowan tree must be planted, and under no circumstances must hawthorn be brought into the house before May Day as it belongs to the Woodland God and will bring bad luck! 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• lollycat11
    lollycat11 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hi, there’s do not cross on the stairs… bad luck!

a 🦅 in the house…. Well I don’t like that one!

ooh then there’s the magpies! One for sorrow two for joy! I have to salute a solo magpie!

and I always say white rabbits 🐇 3 times on the 1st of the month!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.