Esa premiums with a carer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa premiums with a carer

Options
Rach1984
Rach1984 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi I'm currently on esa income related we claim as a couple (he looked after children till stroke now my daughter helps with it luckerly they are 14 and 16) and im on enhanced pip for mobility and daily living for the last 5 years my daughter has been my carer and recieves carers allowance I lost premiums because of this which is fine but my hubby had a stroke last year and we are awaiting results from pip atm but if he does get the enhanced rate I would be looking at getting a family member who is male to help him (my daughter has been helping so far but it's too much for her with us both) they have said they will claim carers allowance but I'm unsure how him also having a carer effects the esa I've looked everywhere but it only mensions 1 carer anyone been in this situation? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you saying your 16 year old daughter claims carers allowance for looking after you? Is she not in full time education? Usually full time students are unable to claim carers allowance. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rach1984
    edited June 2022
    Options
    No sorry I meant my 2 youngest are 16 and 14 so aren't so difficult to look after physically now my 21 year old daughter claims carers for me I was about to delete this as I finally found the answer to my question 😅 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad you've found the answer @Rach1984 and do let us know if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime?

Thanks for explaining and letting us know, I hope finding an answer has helped put your mind at rest :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ah ok that makes sense now, thanks. Then yes someone can claim carers allowance for your husband providing the person doesn’t earn more than £132 per week. 
    Do be aware also that if you are the main claimant of the ESA claim then your husband will not be receiving NI credits towards his state pension. (Or vice versa if you’re husband is the main claimant) you’re  not actually claiming as a couple as such, though you will be receiving extra money for your husband. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rach1984
    Options
    Oh god I didn't realise that thank u ill look into it 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope it helps @Rach1984. Please do feel free to let us know if you need help with anything else or have any follow-up questions. Good luck with looking into it  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Rach1984
    Options
    Thank you  I've requested that he recieves ni credits due to not being able to work for a year or more fingers crossed I'll get it 😀 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Rach1984 said:
    Thank you  I've requested that he recieves ni credits due to not being able to work for a year or more fingers crossed I'll get it 😀 
    How have you requested that? The way to do it is for him to apply for new style ESA which means he will then be referred for a Work Capability Assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.