ESA and going back to work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and going back to work

Rachael12345
Rachael12345 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi. I’ve filled in a health assessment form to claim contribution based ESA. I work 16 hours per week and couldn’t claim statuatory sick pay because I didn’t have enough contributions from the previous 8 week. It’s been 4 weeks now and I haven’t had any money yet. Could I cancel my claim and return to work? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    You can ring ESA and tell them you're returning to work. If you were entitled to New style ESA for the weeks you were off work and sent a fit note to support your claim then you should be paid any money that's owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    If you are still working 16 hours per week you are not eligible for ESA. You have to be working less than 16 hours and earn not more than £152/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rachael12345
    Hi. I was working 16 hours a week , but had a sick note for the past nine weeks. I’m feeling better now so would like to go back to work and cancel my claim when I start work again. But wondered if I’d still get paid for the past nine weeks. Thanks 
  • calcotti
    Rachael12345 said: But wondered if I’d still get paid for the past nine weeks. Thanks 
    You should.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rachael12345
    Thank you. I really hope so it’s been a long time with very little money.
  • poppy123456
    But wondered if I’d still get paid for the past nine weeks. Thanks 
    Yes, providing you paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    poppy123456 said:..providing you paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021.
    I should have included that in my reply.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said:..providing you paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021.
    I should have included that in my reply.

No worries. I sometimes miss information out when i should have included it.
  • Rachael12345
    Thanks. I was furloughed for some of that time . Will that effect my NI contributions ?
  • calcotti
    Thanks. I was furloughed for some of that time . Will that effect my NI contributions ?
    It depends how much you were being paid. If you were earning more than £120/week you will have contributions, if less than that you won't.
  • Rachael12345
    Thanks. I should be okay.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    I hear the should @Rachael12345. Is there anything else we can do to support you further? We are here for you. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Rachael12345
    Hi. I’ve had the news today that I won’t be able to claim ESA as I haven’t enough NI contributions for the relevant years. I’d need to pay around £540 to make up this shortfall. I’m not sure that by paying it would help anyway. Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Unless you were self employed then you won't be able to pay class 2 for the missing gaps. You will only be able to pay class 3 and this doesn't entitle you to New style ESA.
  • Rachael12345
    Thank you Poppy. Much appreciated. I’m not self employed. I’ll be going back to work sooner than I thought 🙄
  • poppy123456
    Then the only other benefit will be Universal Credit. Whether you qualify will depend on your circustances. If you live with a partner you need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration because it's a means tested benefit.
    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. First payment will be 1 month and 6 days after you first claimed. You can request an advance payment once you've claimed but this will need to be repaid back from future payments. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=6b818c3d-9173-4c1a-8add-483705b04419

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.