Will Child dla have impact on me. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will Child dla have impact on me.

Options
Tayanahouseb
Tayanahouseb Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello Scope,

I am wheel chair bound and claim UC & PIP. I fell pregnant by accident but I love my son, unfortunately he was born disabled, genetic condition and other issues. I am on my own with my son.  So far I had help from different organisations and people. But I am still finding it very tough to the point I have been in tears.  Family members mean well, but have not been that helpful to be honest as they have their own life to lead and I do not bother to ask anymore.

My question is that I’m considering applying for DLA for my son, because the health visitor told me I should have done this a while back. I just found the form overwhelming and I would find it a struggle without help & I did not wish to put anyone out by taking the time to help me.   I just wanted to know would It have any affect on my UC claim? If I was to claim.

Would I have deductions etc.  The health visitor told me I could be listed as my child career due to the amount of effect invovled, but then I also have SDP transitional element added to my UC when I moved to UC. Would this be taken away? would I be better off or worse? Do I have to inform UC?   It’s another reason I did not claim dla for my child because I find it all very confusing and over whelming.  I went in to the job centre to ask advise but the lady had to keep asking another person, after  she finished I did not understand any of it and she confused me even more. It does not help being partly deaf, she was getting frustrated and so was I. In end I said I had to leave because I was in pain as it took so long.

His care needs are high.  I am often left struggling due to numerous costs involved presently for myself and him.  I am sorry for all the questions, I know I have gone on a bit too much. 

Thank u xx 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    If your son is awarded DLA you may get extra money for him in your UC award. However the addition will be deducted from your transitional protection. There are two monthly rates £132.89 or £414.88 depending on what level of DLA is awarded.

How much is your current transitional protection?

The DLA itself will be ignored so you cannot be worse off overall by claiming DLA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tayanahouseb
    Tayanahouseb Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    calcotti said:
    If your son is awarded DLA you may get extra money for him in your UC award. However the addition will be deducted from your transitional protection. There are two monthly rates £132.89 or £414.88 depending on what level of DLA is awarded.

How much is your current transitional protection?

The DLA itself will be ignored so you cannot be worse off overall by claiming DLA.
    Thank you Calcotti, £120.  So if my son got award £414.88 would the £120 be taken away? I am paying for a private cleaning & other odd jobs as I can't do the tasks myself without help so any help would be great. I am just confused about how it all works.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any increase in other elements or any additional elements added would erode your TP completely.
    If your UC also includes the LCWRA element for yourself then you won't be able to claim the carers element if your child was awarded mid/high rate care DLA because you can't be paid both of those elements at the same time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Tayanahouseb said: So if my son got award £414.88 would the £120 be taken away? 
    Remember the DLA itself is extra money that does not affect the UC so that will be extra money.

On UC if she gets either of the disabled child elements as a result of a successful DLA claim then yes the SDP element will be lost. So if she got the lower amount there would be a small increase in the UC, if she got the higher amount there would be a significant increase in the UC.

Remember also that the SDP amount will reduce each year anyway as other elements of UC increase.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.