Things you got wrong in your life — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things you got wrong in your life

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
I saw this thread on another forum and I thought it would be fun to put it on here.

- Before it started, I thought COVID on the news was just scaremongering.

- I dropped out of computer studies at college (in 2010) as I assumed internet/consumer tech popularity was at its peak and would go downhill from there.

- I didn’t bother learning to drive until I was in my 20s as I thought it was pointless.

- Sold shares in Apple for $12 each, making a nice 20% profit. They are now $140 each.

- Bought shares in a Nigerian company, dismissing warnings from family that “they are all conmen” as ignorant racism. The company then went bust after the CEO stole all of the money.

What about you?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    By far the biggest mistake of my life was joining a particular forum. I have spoken about this a little before but it’s worth reiterating. I thought all of my details were private and I was anonymous of course. Consequently when I noticed all was not well on this forum I spoke up about it, two or three times, big mistake. Suddenly I started receiving subtly threatening emails, lots of them. Then lots of scam calls at all hours of the day and night. I even had people park outside my house just to intimidate me. My computer was hacked and they knew everything I wrote or looked at, this I knew from the subtle messages I received in emails,  I could go on but I won’t. This lasted for ten years and resulted in my having serious mental health problems, including four suicide attempts. The worst part of it was nobody believed me it was so subtle and cleverly done. 

I learned two things from this. One never assume you’re anonymous or that your computer is safe from hackers. Two never rock the boat if you see something untoward keep schtum. I know the latter sounds cowardly but believe me I went through hell and almost died four times because of it and I’m still on medication.

sorry to burden anyone with this but I hope it saves someone else from going through what I did.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @leeCal

Yes that’s good advice and I don’t put anything online that I don’t care if the whole world sees. Assume once you publish something that it’s free for anyone to distribute as they see fit.

I’ve learnt several times (well I suppose you can’t learn several times, I suppose I’ve FAILED to learn several times), though luckily not as harshly as you, that you never speak up about something wrong with the way a forum is. Forums I’ve found are very tribal and have their own little unwritten rules and any breaking of them is dealt with very firmly.

I think another way of looking at it is that (most) sites are dictatorships - the admins can do what they want, doesn’t matter if it’s “right” or not.

PS not saying that about this forum, but a lot of forums I’ve been on!!
  • leeCal
    Options
    There was a lot more to this story than I’ve posted obviously, I wouldn’t try suicide over anything trivial. 

Its surprising the amount of detail detail you can find out about people just by asking innocent questions though, and noting it all down. I don’t do that but I think we should all be careful as to what we give away freely. My problem was that the forum had been hacked I suspect which made things far worse. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One was a mistake one was an error of judgement, the move from our first home to our second was a mistake, the error of judgement was not buying bitcoin in the early days.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    -certain people I've trusted
    -letting anxiety win and destroy my 20s and not living them
    -start working from home - it was the best option at the time but it was driven by anxiety and long term added to inability to go out or interact with the world
    -not paying attention to finances and money until I'd gotten into a real mess with it. Thankfully recovered but it took a long time and I still have trouble with impulse spending
    -not picking the right numbers on the lottery :D 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    @leecal that's just awful how did you get out of the situation??
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not going to uni and getting  better in life, mainly because uni was never talked about in my days, or anyone pushing me there. 
  • leeCal
    Options
    @Biblioklept after every suicide attempt I came bouncing back and they just stopped, just like that eventually. That was after ten years! Someone somewhere said enough and that was it. I consider myself very lucky to have walked away from it alive, so far anyway.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Not going to uni and getting  better in life, mainly because uni was never talked about in my days, or anyone pushing me there. 
    It's never too late. You might not use the degree the same way as if you got it early 20s but you could still study <3 
    I had the same and uni wasn't really something even discussed growing up, I didn't know anyone that had been. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    leeCal said:
    @Biblioklept after every suicide attempt I came bouncing back and they just stopped, just like that eventually. That was after ten years! Someone somewhere said enough and that was it. I consider myself very lucky to have walked away from it alive, so far anyway.
    I'm really glad you came through the other side <3 I can't believe it lasted for 10 years no one should have to through it at all but 10 years is just so awful. How long ago did it all settle down? Glad it didn't put you off forums, I enjoy your posts here!!
  • leeCal
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Biblioklept It stopped two years ago, but I’m still looking over my shoulder so to speak. I don’t think I’ll ever fully get over it to be honest, it was life changing in a bad way.

i have changed because of it though, not entirely but in certain ways I’m far stronger mentally than I was, you have to be. I can see some positives definitely. Two things helped me through, Buddhism and Catholicism believe it or not, they share some similarities though one set believe in a God and the other don’t believe in one all powerful deity. Anyway I won’t go on about those things, I’m sure it’ll bore everyone. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Options
    Definitely won't bore us @leeCal I'm just so sad for you that you had to go through it but it's so nice you found strength and new beliefs <3

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine has to be marrying my ex and trying to pretend everything was OK for 3 years when I knew deep down he was having an affair 

But even though all the signs were there I didn't want to believe it especially as the other girl was his sons partner and mother of his own grandkids I was fearful of how it would rip the families apart 
  • Sandy_123
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I can't imagine going through that Jane, it's a bit low going after your sons partner. Imagine how the son feels. Not to mention confusing the grandkids, you deserve loads better then that. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Sandy_123 it was like something you read about in  magazine 

As they say it takes 2 to rango she was just as bad they have since had 2 kids together so lives with his 3 grandkids and 2 of their own bizarre to me 

Everyone has moved on thankfully 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    It is out of a mag, at least you've found better now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.