Moving out feels like a pipe dream — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving out feels like a pipe dream

Options
sadfairy
sadfairy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi! I struggle with quite severe mental illness that's left me unable to work for literally my whole life (had to drop out of school due to this too) and I'm currently on UC with limited capability for work and PIP. I live at home with my mum but I truly believe living here with her is having a severely negative effect on my mental health. I'd love to move out but it seems impossible. I have pets (a garden is essential because of this), I'm on benefits and I'm low income, and I've heard how hard it is to find a landlord that will take people with those circumstances and I've also heard the wait for social housing is incredibly long. I feel trapped totally by my circumstances, I really don't know what to do. I'm trying my best to focus on improving my mental health as much as I can but it's difficult to stay motivated when I can't see a way out.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Even if the wait is long getting started on process for social housing is a good idea, even if it takes 3 years, if you start now you're on the way. The lists get longer all the time so sooner the better <3
    If private landlords that let direct are often more amenable than letting agents but it can be really hard. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It’s certainly isnt easy to find a landlord that will accept a tenant claiming benefits but they are out there. Do a search of the area you want to live. Do be aware though that if you do manage to find one they may ask for a guarantor. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Yeah I agree poppy123456. And the income levels expected for a guarantor are usually absurd too!! 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @sadfairy :) I'm sorry to hear that things are quite challenging at the moment, and that it's having an impact on your mental health.

As the others have said, it can be difficult to find a private landlord who accepts tenants claiming benefits, but it's not impossible. Shelter have some information on their website about how to find landlord who accept benefits, which you might find helpful. Would living in a house share be an option for you?
     I live at home with my mum but I truly believe living here with her is having a severely negative effect on my mental health.
    Would you feel comfortable telling us a little more about why this is?

Are you receiving any support to help you manage your mental health at the moment?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,406 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept Have the rules changed with regard to guarantors?
    When our daughter was looking to move out(she was working but her boyfriend wasn't)one agent told her they'd need two guarantors and both of them would have to be property owners.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    @teigr when I was looking it had to be a guarantor that was earning above 40x the monthly rent. Some had it as 35x and some as much as 50x the rent :( 
    I wasn't asked about them being property owners but I don't know if that's standard
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,406 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @Biblioklept.

Yes,it might vary from agent to agent.I don't remember income being mentioned;although my partner was finishing a course of radiotherapy at the time so our income was limited to sick pay(or whatever they call it now).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.