Do you have good neighbours? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have good neighbours?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
A random question that I thought would make a good discussion.

Do you have good neighbours?

In the past, have you ever had particularly bad or good neighbours that stand out?

It occurred to me we have good people living in the houses all around us. We don’t have anyone nearby who’s antisocial, unfriendly or aggressive. We have a few who keep themselves to themselves but that’s fine by me.

However I do know how much bad neighbours can affect life, and for that reason I feel extremely lucky as we have several houses here and the chances of getting even one bad person must be pretty high but we have all nice people so must have rolled a double six on a dice somewhere.

What are your neighbours like?

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't have Terrible neighbours but and yes there's a but, I find 1 of my neighbours spy on me from their bathroom window, as it looks straight into my kitchen, I've told my son I want a blind up, when he gets round  to measuring it. Driving me mad, there's about 6 of them living there and they all do it.  The other side are drug dealers. So a great combination
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    We have one very good neighbour and one who is elderly and unwell. So we have peace and quiet at the moment but the elderly lady is I’m afraid to say terminally ill. So who knows who we’ll get next, it’s a bit of a lottery. 

Where we used to live we had had a whole building site spring up behind us in what used to be lovely fields with horses grazing in. Then after eighteen months of building noise and dust our neighbour gleefully told me he was intent on having an extension built. That was another six months of noise and dust, we left not long after.

My mother once made me laugh. I noticed the neighbour had put up a six foot fence next to her kitchen, she said “yes, and now I have to stand on a stool to look over!” She was serious 🤣

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My neighbours are not ideal a young girl lives next door which I'm sti amazed about as its social housing bungalow and she is about 25 and no disability 

Music blaring out at all hours a dog that barks all time and baby that screams the house down I just keep myself to myself 

Not one person on the estate has ever offered any interaction but I don't go out much so don't really see them 
  • leeCal
    Options
    That sounds awful @janer1967, commiserations.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    edited June 2022
    Options
     @Teddybear12 A dog really is a good ice breaker isn’t it. A baby often fulfils the same function I’ve noticed but the good thing about a dog is you can have one at any age 😄

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We live on a small park home site, we have some great neighbours who are good friends and we have others who aren't that friendly.

The big pluses for us is that we are very rural, children under 21 aren't allowed to live on the site and the nearest bricks and mortar houses sell for half a million.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have fab neighbors they have children  and the mum is haveing chemo as she had cancer but we all get on and the other neighbors are friendly and always have a chat 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Loving hearing all your stories and experiences! Glad to hear it is mainly positive. 

Though it sounds tough that one of your neighbours is having chemo @Lisatho11987777. How is she at the moment?  
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.