Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

New legislation to allow a wider range of healthcare professionals to certify fit notes.

Options
chiarieds
chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,162 Disability Gamechanger
From July 1st some registered nurses, occupational therapists, pharmacists & physiotherapists will also be able to legally certify fit notes in England, Scotland & Wales (no change in N. Ireland).

Comments

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    From July 1st some registered nurses, occupational therapists, pharmacists & physiotherapists will also be able to legally certify fit notes in England, Scotland & Wales (no change in N. Ireland).

God help us then!

The pharmacy that I go to for my drugs is about as useful as a chocolate teapot! Nearly every month they make a complete shambles of my prescriptions.
    Once I was waiting for my ensure drinks but week after week was being told that the prescription was not there.
    Then about 6 weeks after I went in for another repeat lot only to be asked why I had not come in for the ensure drinks - they have been here for 5+ weeks. I tried to explain that I had - many times but they were having none of it.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds thank you. I had heard this and think it can only be a good thing, at least it will take the pressure off GP's.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,624 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds that sounds fab, don't know how it will plan out with pharmacies tho. But physio, nurses etc will be better then trying to get one off drs
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    This, in my eyes, is just a watering down of the medical world.
    We have the same watering down of the police with Special Constables & Police Community Support Officers and also watering down the fire brigade with retained firefighters.
    I`m not criticising Specials, PCSOs or retained firefighters, but I am the government bodies that prefer to provide services "on the cheap".

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,949 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    chiarieds said:

God help us then!

The pharmacy that I go to for my drugs is about as useful as a chocolate teapot! Nearly every month they make a complete shambles of my prescriptions.
    Once I was waiting for my ensure drinks but week after week was being told that the prescription was not there.
    Then about 6 weeks after I went in for another repeat lot only to be asked why I had not come in for the ensure drinks - they have been here for 5+ weeks. I tried to explain that I had - many times but they were having none of it.

I have trouble with my local pharmacy too even though it's a big high street name.
    But I think more people being able to issue fit notes is a good thing, you don't have to use your pharmacist to get one, and don't just have to go to GP, there's loads of people who can now give thme which is good.

I worry about pharmacists being added as they are already so overworked and apparently leaving in high numbers although I can't prove that for certain. 

Altogether it seems like good news and I hadn't heard of it at all. Thank you for sharing it @chiarieds <3 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept
    My local pharmacy is a high street name too (Well). For them it takes 4 days from the prescription being approved from your GP to having a text ready to collect it. In December 2021 they had a major staffing shortage where it was taking 2-3 weeks for medication to be processed because they had no pharmacist in the store, this led me and many others in my community to select a different pharmacy because my local Well was getting worse and had been doing since COVID. Eventually I chose a small little chemist 2 miles away and the service I have received is fab, they deliver the same day my prescription is approved up until 9pm, they call you a day before it’s due to remind you to re-order and if they don’t have the item in stock they return the next day to drop it off for you.

It may be worth checking around, big names have more customers which mean more delays.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,949 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @bg844 that sounds a lot like my pharmacy too, they still have trouble with pharmacists and takes days to get medicines in. I thought big name would mean better service as they have to be more structured and oversight but I see why a little one would probably give better customer service. I'm not sure others around me and it is almost impossible for me to go to somewhere I've not been before but I will try and research thank you <3
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I think it's good certain professionals can issue like 0hysio and nurses etc but not too sure I agree with pharmacists they don't have the time to consult rather there to dispense and advise on meds 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,162 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm in agreement with several of you. Overall I hope more people will find it helpful, but I'm uncertain about pharmacists being included.
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If any of you use e-consult you can use that to get a fit note. Go through the I want administrative help and follow the onscreen prompts. It also gives a timeline to their response. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @wendy41 :) Have you used that function yourself?

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes I currently use this pathway. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you find it easy to use @wendy41

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.