Child DLA to PIP transfer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child DLA to PIP transfer

Options
Levi28
Levi28 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited June 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good Morning,

After some advice from you lovely people!
I am currently in the midst of claiming PIP for my 16yr old, she has been on DLA for many years. 
I am her appointee after an assessment with DWP and recently had a telephone assessment on the 25/5, we are still awaiting a final decision on her claim.
I have to say I was complete taken aback by the assessors attitude! My daughter is diagnosed ASD, ADHD and has a rare genetic condition that effects her entire gastrointestinal system.
In the appointment we went through most descriptors and the reply or comment to most of the responses from me by the assessor was
”she attends a mainstream school so has no cognitive impairment”
I tried to explain that she has a band 4 EHCP (full time hours) and that she has a 1-2-1 with her at all times in school, without this there is no question of her attending a mainstream school! But all she focused on was her attending a mainstream school.
She has issues with concentration, remembering instructions and tasks, she has lessons explained to her in a way she understands and lots of other support.
I’m not new to the PIP process, I’ve helped and supported other people, I gave detailed examples of every day struggles she faces. I have just never come across such a dismissive and discriminative attitude! 
Im not feeling hopeful, the report from the assessor was also not worth the read as for every single descriptor she wrote the same comment about the school. 
I will await the final decision, I just wondered if any other members had experienced the mainstream school comment?
many thanks xx

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Ludicrous. Obviously totally unaware of the enormous efforts that have been made over the years (rightly or wrongly) to support pupils with difficulties to be taught in mainstream schools.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Levi28
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Ludicrous. Obviously totally unaware of the enormous efforts that have been made over the years (rightly or wrongly) to support pupils with difficulties to be taught in mainstream schools.
    Yes I agree! I’m totally flummoxed by it and it has stopped me in my tracks.
    I thought the idea of PIP was to assess them on the support they require?
    it is bad enough she has the difficulties she has but for them to be dismissed because I chose to send her to mainstream school is confusing.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Levi28 said:

I just wondered if any other members had experienced the mainstream school comment?
    many thanks xx

Yes, i've heard that happening many times, it's totally bonkers. Lots of parents have no option but to send their child to mainstream school, it doesn't mean they don't need the support.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Levi28
    Options
    Levi28 said:

I just wondered if any other members had experienced the mainstream school comment?
    many thanks xx

Yes, i've heard that happening many times, it's totally bonkers. Lots of parents have no option but to send their child to mainstream school, it doesn't mean they don't need the support.
    It’s so bizarre… I am still awaiting DWP decision but unfortunately I am aware of the weight assessors report seems to have on decision makers.
    I’m preparing myself for a battle, it just seems so unfair. I don’t know what I can put in a MR that is not on the claim form? I gave detailed everyday examples. I’m at a loss really..
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can either contact PIP now and make a comment on the assessment/assessor and ask for the DM to take it into account or you can wait until you get a decision and if unfavourable request a Mandatory reconsideration.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Levi28
    Options
    Yes I’ve spoken to DWP, they have placed a note on the file (whatever that means)! Advising I’m not happy with the report etc.
    Regardless of the outcome of her claim, I have made a complaint to IAS and my MP has lodged an enquiry with them. I just cannot understand how such a reckless, discriminative statement about schooling can have any bearing about what her difficulties are! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.