Information around the gov uplifts — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Information around the gov uplifts

Options
CharlieRose256
CharlieRose256 Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
Hi all

I’m not sure if I’ve put this question in the correct forum or named it appropriately, but here goes.

I’m asking this question on behalf of my Dad, as I don’t have much/limited knowledge around ESA. He was awarded ESA late last year/early this year, and I *think* it was new style ESA (unless I’m mistaken, you can’t apply for income-related ESA anymore so he won’t have that). I noticed that in the new government uplifts, that new style ESA wasn’t on the list for those to receive the £650, does that mean he won’t receive it?

many thanks in advance  

EDIT: forgot to mention, he doesn’t receive UC
They/them/she/her pronouns please.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It's not an uplift. It's a cost of living payment. As it's New style ESA that he's claiming and unfortunately, he won't be entitled to the £650 payment. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment
    If he's named on an energy account he will still receive the £400 energy grant paid onto his energy account over a period of 6 months from October.
    Edit...different subject to your question but has he checked entitlement to UC? If he lives with a partner they will need to claim as a couple. If they have savings/capital of more than £16,000 then they won't be able to claim.
    His ESA will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. He can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CharlieRose256
    CharlieRose256 Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you, I suspected that was the case, but it’s always good to check/ask.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) he and my Mum have to much in saving to qualify for UC, so they didn’t bother applying for it. 
    They/them/she/her pronouns please.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.