Awaiting PIP tribunal date. Feel PIP made a mistake — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting PIP tribunal date. Feel PIP made a mistake

Options
Zoey92
Zoey92 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi, would like advice and if anyone has experienced similar. 

I am awaiting a tribunal date for my pip appeal because I applied for PIP back in Nov 2021 and I had my assessment and the assessor left out quite a few things I said and didn't tell me that I needed to elaborate on my answers. So they first awarded me 5 points for daily living and 0 for mobility(mobility i dont expect to score anything on as im fine there).

I did the MRN and stated that she didn't let me elaborate and didn't include where I told her my mum washes my hair over the bath. I then elaborated on everything else. MRN final decision was I was awarded 7 points (2 for washing and bathing) which makes me miss out on getting PIP standard rate by 1 point.
I have taken this to tribunal because PIP themselves quoted what "aid" means in this mrn decision and everything I have told them isnt in the category of Aid and is clearly Mr getting assistance from my mum but they did not change that score. 

Is there any chance the dwp can read in my appeal that I've stated this and decide to award me the 9 points? Or will it still go to tribunal?
Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether it's possible to score points for needing assistance will depend on the reasons why an aid wouldn't help you. If they think an aid can be reasonably used then this is what you'll score points for.

Zoey92 said:

Is there any chance the dwp can read in my appeal that I've stated this and decide to award me the 9 points? Or will it still go to tribunal?

It's not possible to score 9 points for washing and bathing because the highest score here would be 8 points. You can't score more than once per activity. Where are those 9 points coming from? https://pipinfo.net/

It's rare for DWP to offer an award before the hearing but it can happen. You should expect to have to attend the hearing.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Zoey92
    Options
    Whether it's possible to score points for needing assistance will depend on the reasons why an aid wouldn't help you. If they think an aid can be reasonably used then this is what you'll score points for.

Zoey92 said:

It's not possible to score 9 points for washing and bathing because the highest score here would be 8 points. You can't score more than once per activity. Where are those 9 points coming from? https://pipinfo.net/

It's rare for DWP to offer an award before the hearing but it can happen. You should expect to have to attend the hearing.

Im sorry i worded it wrong. I meant I should have scored a 4 for preparing food as its assistance, not aid which would bring the total pip award to 9 which would change their decision to award me pip not 9 for washing and bathing x 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you score 2 points for preparing food? If so, why do you think you should have scored 4 points?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you score 2 points for preparing food? If so, why do you think you should have scored 4 points?
    I think OP is saying that they require assistance to prepare food.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I think OP is saying that they require assistance to prepare food.

Yes i realise that but was just asking why they think this applies. As you know, sometimes people think they should have scored X points but it may not be possible. The same as some people think they wouldn't score points for an acitivity but they did.
  • Zoey92
    Options
    Yeah i scored 2 points. If it helps my condition is arthritis in my hands. I have stated that I get assistance everytime but for some reason it has been marked down as "I need an aid" and when I read their definition of Aid, none of those apply to me in the preparing food section. I read through what you shared and I believe I should be awarded 4 points. Unless I'm not understanding something properly.
    It's now down to tribunal I guess but I just wanted to know if someone else experienced this really and if it was overturned. I dont mean to come across as someone who thinks I am right they are wrong etc I apologise if I have 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to tell them why assistance is needed and what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.