Pip assessors gave zero points — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessors gave zero points

Debsydoo
Debsydoo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, im new on here. I have applied back in feb/march for PIP. This is due to lower back problems and I suffer from depression and anxiety. I do work part time and i feel that because of this thats why i got Zero. I phoned PIP and asked do the decision makers go off what they reccomend as if thats the case i wont get help.  Im so stressed and upset. I do go to work because if i didnt i wouldnt be able to pay the bills. I have 2 children and because i can look after them i must be fine. They mainly look after themselves but me and husband share cooking etc and driving to school. The PIP woman on the phone told me its not what you have but what it stops you doing. If i stopped working i wouldnt get paid. Dont get sick pay. I dont know what to do. If i was able to get help i could reduce hours at work because working is making me ill and feel worse. Im in a catch 22 situation. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Debsydoo :) I'm sorry to hear that you're under some stress with your PIP claim at the moment. 

Just to clarify, have you received your decision letter yet? 

Though the decision makers often go with what's in the assessor's report, it's not a guarantee of how many points you'll get.

It's also worth remembering that PIP isn't awarded based on your ability to work. It's based on the the descriptors (pipinfo.net), in relation to daily living and mobility. When the person on the phone said 'its not what you have but what it stops you doing', I imagine they meant that it's about how your conditions affect you in relation to the descriptors, rather than what your diagnosis is. 

If you don't get the award you were hoping for once you receive your decision letter, you could think about asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) (Turn2Us). Many people on the community who've been through this have said they've found it best to think of some real world examples to demonstrate the challenges they face for each of the descriptors that apply to them. Does that make sense? 

I'm sorry to hear that you experience depression and anxiety, too. Are you receiving any support to help you manage your mental health at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited June 2022
    Hello Debsydoo

You posted "The PIP woman on the phone told me its not what you have but what it stops you doing" The "PIP woman" is wrong when she said "but what it stops you doing". Someone can correct me if I am wrong but you can still be able to do an activity for PIP but you need to show that you cannot complete that activity Reliably according to the descriptors for that activity.

Under Regulation 4(2A) of the main PIP regulations you need to be able to complete each PIP activity safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and within a reasonable time period. If it takes you a long time to complete an activity because of your physical problems then you cannot do that activity "within a reasonable time period" so you should score points for that activity if you qualify for a descriptor under that activity. Remember you need to do the activity Reliably so if only one of those four criteras affect you then you should score points but you need to explain in detail according to the PIP activity descriptors why you cannot do the activity safely or why you cannot do that activity to an acceptable standard or why you cannot do the activity repeatedly.

So for example if someone with leg problems cannot stand to prepare food because standing would cause them serious pain in there leg then they cannot do that activity "to an acceptable standard" so to help them complete that activity they use the "aid" of a perching stool and on there PIP form they would explain that they use an aid of a "Perching Stool" to help them to do that activity in a Relaible way. They would also explain what would happen if they did not have that perching stool and why the perching stool is essential for them to complete the activity. They would score 2 points for Preparing a meal because they "Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal."

The next thing you will need to think about is supporting evidence. Do you get help or care from your husband or any relatives? If you do then you can ask them to write you a supporting letter explaining the problems you have completing the PIP activities "Reliably" according to the descriptors for each activity. They will need to say how they know you and how much time they spend with you. Ask them to describe in detail your problems you have for the majority of days.

Another idea for supporting evidence is to keep a mental health and physical disability diary each day explaining in detail your problems you experience for that day doing each activity according to the descriptors. This can be used also as supporting evidence.

All of the above can be done if you do not get a PIP award and you need to do a Mandatory Reconsideration. It is also advised when you do your mandatory reconsideration to include real life events that have happened when you have tried to do that activity and you have struggled or you may have hurt yourself. Explain in detail what happened and if anyone witnessed the event.

I hope this has been helpful and if anything above is incorrect I am sure a regular poster will correct my advice.

Kind Regards
    Nasturtium

How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • Debsydoo
    Wow thankyou so much for the advice and comments. I havent received the decision yet but im thinking i will get Zero due to the assessors report. My husband helps me with everything, and we share activities like the cooking. But surely it should be based on if i was alone that i couldnt manage cooking for more than 10mins , id have to sit down. He is there everytime i have a bath due to my weight he helps me out the bath. He does most the driving but when he is at work I am the one who has to pick kids up from school(just sit in car) or if I have work i drive there and back. Just a routine journey. Im no good if its a new place. He drives. He deals with the money. I have to use an aid when on the toilet. I honestly cant see how i got Zero. I will await the decision and then write down scenario days etc. Also get my husband to do a letter.
  • Debsydoo
    Just to add to the last comment,  i also have a timer/alarm set to take my medicines. Or my hubby can prompt me. This is because a couple of times before id forgotten i had taken my meds so ended up taking them again. Without a timer i could do it again because i am forgetful and have brain fog.  The whole points system just confuses me. I will look at the links above that youve posted for help.
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    You cannot do much until you have had your descision letter. You can prepare ready incase you need to go for a Mandatory Reconsideration. If you need further advice then you can look for local support in your area by typing in your post code in here https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits and it will give you information on where you can get face to face advice on claiming benifits.
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not based on whether you're alone or not. It's based on the help you need, regardless of whether you receive that help.
    If you need to sit down during preparing food then this suggests 2 points for needing an aid.
    For washing/bathing whether you'll score points for needing assistance will depend on the reasons why an aid wouldn't help you here. If you can reasonably use an aid then it should be 2 points.
    Driving isn't considered in any of the PIP descriptors. Lots of people aren't great when driving to places they aren't familiar with.
    For budgeting then again it will depend on why you're unable to complete this activity to the required standard.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.