Bed bell/alarm? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bed bell/alarm?

Options
g1gop
g1gop Community member Posts: 17 Connected
I am disabled but able to get about. My wife is my carer.
Unfortunately my eldest sister has just had a fairly major stroke. She is still in hospital and its early days yet(only happened Monday).
she is paralyzed down one side and at the moment can't speak(in and out of consciousness).
They are assessing how much of her brain has died.
I know it's a long way off yet but thinking ahead, she lives in a house and I a bungalow with a room to spare, so it likely she will come to stay with us at least until we can see how much damage is permanent.

So trying to think ahead. I was looking for a call system (like they have in hospital) for her to be able to use easily to call if she needs anything(especially as she might not be able to speak and I am fairly deaf). I couldn't find such device for sale.
Basically like a cordless front door bell but with a button (like in hospitals) that could be in bed with her and very easy to push. Anyone (in the UK) have any ideas/links etc please?
I know we are many weeks off yet but I want to be ready.
Alan

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so very sorry to read what has happened to your sister @g1gop. I don't have any advice but I just wanted to reach out and say how caring you are thinking of her and planning ahead like this. <3

I hope someone can help you as there should be lots of things like that available. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear of what you are going through @g1gop, it sounds really difficult and as mentioned above it's lovely that you are putting so much thought into this. 

have you asked the hospital staff about any such things you could use to help achieve what you described in your post? It seems as though something like that should exist, it's just a case of where to get it from.

I wish your sister a speedy recovery.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,145 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @g1gop sorry to read about your sister and hope she recovers. With the alarm system at home, I wouldn't rush to buy one just yet. Your home will be assessed by therapy teams to cater for your sisters needs and suitability.  I would wait for all that to be in place 1st. There are alot of alarm systems on the market, if you do a Google search. Also might be worth thinking about a manual bell, which will be as effective but keep costs low. 
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I hope your sister makes a full recovery. I had a friend who had a bad stroke, but in time he recovered well. I had a wireless doorbell with 3 loud musical chimes attached to it, playing different tunes. There were no wires coming off the bell push (it had a small battery), so you can have it in bed. The chimes had to be plugged in to an electric socket but there were sockets in the chimes so you could plug electrical devices in to them and didn't lose a power socket. You can have just 1 chime unit or several. I had 3 in my flat. It didn't matter where I was I could hear them. If you are a little deaf this may be a good solution for you as no matter where you are in your bungalow you will hear the chimes.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.