Discrimination by petrol station — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination by petrol station

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
About 5 years ago I was on the M5 and needed fuel
I was watching my gauge drop and pulled in to Michael Woods near Bristol 
I am unable to walk more than a few feet without excruciating pain so rely on the goodwill of others to help me
However the petrol station as almost empty and I tooted my horn once and flashed my lights once.. 
The chap who was sitting at the paydesk by the window turned away from me.. 
Next thing I knew was a speaker blaring out,"please move on" 
I was short of petrol so decided to ignore this request and tooted my horn once again
The chap turned and stared at me and still offered no help
So again I peeped my horn and waved to the chap at the desk 
He MUST have known that there was a reason for my not getting out of the car but still did absolutely nothing it......
Eventually another car pulled up behind me and started to edge closer and closer
I gave up waiting - pulled out and continued my journey
I ran out of juice some 30 miles later and called out the AA to help me
I wrote to the MD of the service station but never received any response
I have never been on a long journey since then. Alone... 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would imagine the chap behind the cash desk was under instructions never to leave it unless there was a fire or something similar, for security reasons if nothing else, I'm as certain as I can be that it wasn't discrimination.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience. I'm sorry this happened to you.

It can be really difficult when we meet such big barriers to our independence, and these experiences often stay with us, which makes it hard to ask for help in future. 

I can only gather that if the person at the petrol station was lone working, they may have been instructed not to leave the till for security reasons. I know this does nothing to help your situation, and am aware of how frustrating it is having to rely on others for help, but that could be a reason why things unfolded as they did. 

I'm glad you've been open about what happened and the impact it's had since, talking about it here on the community might be really helpful in processing it, and sharing your thoughts with others. 

Disabled motoring has an article on this very subject, with a few suggestions of solutions which might help you be more independent in future:

• MyHailo – the easy and dignified way to refuel
    • Fuel Service - Helping disabled drivers find and get assistance refueling their cars

Do have a look and let us know if either works for you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.