Hi, my name is BIT2FAST4U! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is BIT2FAST4U!

Options
BIT2FAST4U
BIT2FAST4U Scope Member Posts: 21 Connected
I am a 55 year old man and I have CP, which means I use a powered wheelchair to get around and I have a speech impairment. I just joined this community to see what is going on here.

Comments

• BIT2FAST4U
    Options
    Thank you @Teddybear12 I will have a look around.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BIT2FAST4U - & welcome to the community. I hope you enjoy being part of this friendly & supportive group. :)
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @BIT2FAST4U welcome to our great group.
    When your ready have a look around any problems just ask some one is bound to be on the site to help you.
    You will notice we have lots going on from games,arts and crafts, general chit chat or debates.
    It's the best site i have joined on line.

Look forward to seeing you around.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just adding a warm welcome to the community here @BIT2FAST4U and I'm glad to see you starting your own discussion already :)

I hope you find the forum to be a helpful and supportive place.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • BIT2FAST4U
    Options
    @hotstuff, Do you live up to your name?  :)
  • BIT2FAST4U
    Options
    @hotstuff, if you read my post at the top of this page then you will know, although I have had a birthday since then. 

• daresbury1978
    daresbury1978 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    Welcome BIT2FAST4U. I am an 85 year old disabled man. I do not have CP. My situation arises from the WW2 Bombing raids on Liverpool. Thank you for what you have already told us about yourself. I would like to no more. In particular I would like to know about your position in the community e.g. in what type of accommodation do you live and in what ways and to what extent do you live "independently"?  I do understand that you may consider such things "none of my business"!! I should explain that my interest in these things is due to my experience of friendship with a number of individuals with CP whom I have known for about 45 years and who live in a so-called "care home". I have also over the years been involved with other individuals with CP as a result of my involvement with a local charity which existed to support individuals with CP and their carers. I won't say anymore just now but hope that we night be able to share thoughts should you be willing. Ask me whatever you wish to know!! 
  • BIT2FAST4U
    Options
    Hi @daresbury1978, I have worked hard to live as independently as possible from my late teens. My absolute nightmare would have been to end up living in a care home. I live in a rented bungalow provided by a housing association. I am on Direct Payments which allows me to have a care package with a combination of employing Personal Assistants and agency carers. I have up to four visits per day to help me with everyday living tasks. It works well most of the time. Although in the current climate it is quite difficult to recruit new PAs as the pay rate is not great and there are so many job vacancies in the care sector. I hope that answers your questions? 
  • daresbury1978
    daresbury1978 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Options
    Hi BIT2FAST4U! Thank you for your message. I appreciate your openness about your situation and congratulate you for your commitment to living as independently as possible. You seem to be managing to do that very well but I can understand what you say about recruiting new PAs. I have friends with CP who had that same determination that you have shown, also early in their lives,  but who have ended up in a care home situation that, frankly, I do not believe should have happened. Their rights in so many ways  are too easily undermined and they seem to be too far removed from meaningful community involvement. Since I wrote my message to you I have received the latest DISABILITY RIGHTS BULLETIN which includes an interesting and significant article under the heading "research finds huge dissatisfaction with social care services" and in that article Mike Erhardt, Campaigns and Policy Officer at Disability Rights UK is quoted as saying "Disabled people of all ages do not receive the support we deserve. Every delay in action has created a system that is hostile to our needs and desires and prevents us from leading our lives." He goes on to say that Government could "work to create a system where the support that many rely on provides choice, control and inclusion." (my emphasis). Article 19 of the UN Convention equates the right to liberty with "the right of persons with disability to live in and be a part of the community. It will operate as a prohibition on institutional models of supported accommodation for persons with disability, and require national investment in community based living options." Sadly, the reality for far too many disabled people is that the "right to liberty" referred to is denied for them and I want to do my best to change that. We urgently need to see a different "reality"  in place. I think I should try to end my message with a request for a further reply from you. Do you live anywhere near to a residential facility that accommodates disabled individuals and, if so, do you have any contact with the residents? I suppose I hope to encourage a conversation between us but realise, BIT2FAST4U, that you may have had enough of me already! I thank you, however,  for the contact you have made already. Take care!
  • BIT2FAST4U
    Options
    Hi @hotstuff, I am not too bad. If you want to have a conversation with me, then please tell me a little about yourself as I know absolutely nothing about you. 

• BIT2FAST4U
    Options
    Hi @hotstuff

What sort of music do you like? I have a wide variety of music that I listen to. I don't like classical, country, heavy rock, or rap music. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.