Home adaption advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home adaption advice

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
Hi, i am on a waiting list for my home to be adapted so i can have a downstairs toilet. The design they have come up with is a bit stupid to be honest. They want to add an extension to the propery and put a toilet in that extension and also a washroom.

However, doing this would then block out the light in the kitcen and in the lounge.

I have just come back from a few days away where we stayed in a modern cottage that had a downstairs toilet. The cottage was a perfect design for me.

In the lounge it had the kitcen which was small but ideal, and then next to the kitchen it had the toiler.

What i would need to do to our propery would be to knock a wall through so we had a kitchen like this and then use the other half of the kitchen to have a room for a toilet. I am not sure why they did not come up with this idea themselves instead of all the huge expense of an extention.

I would like to know if anyone has had this done, and if they refuse to do this, how much rougly give or take a few thousand would i have to pay.

it would also involve having the stairs removed and then have a small staircase put in.

I have contacted the people to see if they would consider this, and if they still want to go ahead with the extention then i would have to say no to them and either find the money myself or have to sell my home and rent somewhere. 

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    You will be best to get builders to advise different ways they can see to get you this toilet. They can give rough ideas of the costs for each option. It sounds as if you don't really require very much, just the downstairs loo. Under stairs? There could be all manner of things you didn't think of, depending on the layout of your house.

For example: One unusual solution which would be impossible for most, but perfectly suited in one layout, was to put in a side door to reach the back garden, and use the existing back door as the door to a toilet. Because it was to all intents merely a tiny lean-to, it was simple and cheap to build, the work was fast without much disturbance, and the connection to the existing soil pipe was simple. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.