Do you need to be on UC to claim Access To work grant or any other benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you need to be on UC to claim Access To work grant or any other benefits?

Options
AngieG
AngieG Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Can anybody help.....do you need to be on Universal Credit to claim for the Access To Work grant or any other benefits?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No you don't. You can see the elgibility criteria here. https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ve just applied for it, I didn’t complete the application online I just rang the number. 

• AngieG
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. Karen did it take a long time to come thro?
  • Karen7788
    Options
    I’m still waiting @AngieG, hopefully shouldn’t be too long. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @angieg :) I hope that the above responses have helped to clear that up for you. 

If you're not sure about what other benefits you may be eligible to claim, you could try using an online benefits calculator (Turn2Us).
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • AngieG
    Options
    Many thanks Tori, it certainly has relieved me. I thought I had read it somewhere which did concern me a bit.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's understandable @AngieG. It's worth checking these things :) 

Do you mind me asking a little about what's making you look into Access to Work? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • AngieG
    Options
    I manage to work 34hrs a week with my MS but it is now becoming unmanageable. Ive worked with the same company for 9yrs but 3yrs ago I moved further away from them so of course the rising costs of petrol isnt helping. Im finding that by the end of my working day, my eyesight deteriorates quite a bit. Because Im in a rural area, public transport is non existent whether it be bus or train so I would have to give up work or find another job closer to home and give up 9yrs of working in the same place. A lovely lady from the MS society told me about ATW and has put in a claim for me for a taxi to get me to work.
  • Petsi3467
    Petsi3467 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Currently it is taking them 17 weeks to process applications 
  • AngieG
    Options
    Wow!! Its beyond isn't it?? ..... Even my PIP review over the phone didn't take that!! 
  • Karen7788
    Options
    Good luck with your claim @AngieG, my claim is for taxi fairs too. I’ve recently halved my hours at work as it was getting too much for me and I don’t drive and public transport isn’t the best. 
  • AngieG
    Options
    I'm actually having to do 2 jobs, the 2nd one to pay for my petrol to get me to my main job!! I really don't want to give up work. Can I ask what you do Karen? 
  • Karen7788
    Options
    Hi @AngieG, my main role is policies and procedures, so I’m mainly at a desk plus I work some hours at home. I nearly had to give up work altogether but the consultant started me on a new drug which has helped. My workplace has got me all sorts of new equipment and they’re very supportive. I don’t claim PIP though as I couldn’t cope with the hassle and stress of claiming. 
  • AngieG
    Options
    I know what you mean about PIP!! Just done a telephone assessment, phew!! Have a look at a website called The Rainy Day Trust. I had never heard of it but it was relevant to me so the lady from the MS society has applied to them for a grant for me. It may not be relevant but have a good read of it
  • Karen7788
    Options
    Thank you for that @AngieG, I’ll definitely take a look. I know that when I was claiming PIP for my brother who is waiting for a heart transplant, the whole process nearly tipped me over the edge, not to mention the stress of him being so unwell. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds really tough @Karen7788. I would just like to point out that if you ever feel "nearly tipped over the edge" you can always email the staff team at community@scope.org.uk or reach out to Samaritans, Shout or Papyrus.

It sounds really tough, especially when combined with the stress of your brother having been so unwell. We wouldn't ever want you to feel you have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to reach out to us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Karen7788
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Thank you so much @L_Volunteer. Thankfully my brother is still doing ok and remains on the transplant list, my sisters and husband are a good support. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.