Noel Gallagher's comments about disabled Glastonbury attendees

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,611 Championing
edited July 2022 in Everyday life
Noel Gallagher, 55, was reported to be discussing his time at Glastonbury Festival and specifically when he watched Jamie T's set from the disabled viewing platform. The disability charity, Scope, has hit out at the former Oasis star for the "rude and belittling" comments he made regarding wheelchair users at the festival

It was reported that the singer joked on Matt Morgan's podcast that he would have "tipped" a disabled person out of their wheelchair so he could sit at the front of the show.

He also said that he used his Access All Areas pass in order to gain access to the area and when a security guard tried to stop him, he replied: "See that pass mate? It gets me any f****** where."

He is also said to have quipped that he would "touch people on the forehead telling them to 'rise… you can walk'."

Noel added: "I gotta say, those disabled cats have a great view of everything", as reported by the Mirror.

Scope responded to Noel's comments on Twitter:

Reports of @NoelGallagher's behaviour at Glastonbury were upsetting enough. But to hear him boast about his actions, and openly mock disabled people in the process, is beyond insulting.

Accessible platforms at events aren’t for privileged rock stars and their friends. They exist so that disabled people can enjoy live music with fewer barriers. Noel may belittle the experience of disabled music fans, but for many, the reality of attending live music and festivals can be stressful and upsetting.

Just this weekend, disabled fans at @WirelessFest were let down. Steep hills, potholes and rough gravel saw wheelchair users’ needs overlooked. While the ‘viewing’ platform left a lot to be desired.

Disabled people should have the same opportunities as everyone else to enjoy live music. Outdated attitudes and poor access should have no place at a festival. Or any event, for that matter. 

What do you make of the situation?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,985 Championing
    It doesn't surprise me. I remember watching an interview with Phil Collins and he was talking about how Oasis acted like thugs and encouraged their fans to do the same. I know he probably would say that as Oasis was a rival band but it seems there was an element of truth to it.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,611 Championing
    Yeah @66Mustang, Noel and his brother in particular have always been known for saying and doing quite controversial things. It seems that they've never really faced any consequences for their actions in the past, which is surprising. This story itself hasn't really been covered across the wider mainstream media as much as I'd expect. 

As a keen concert and festival goer myself, it's disappointing to hear of his apparent disregard for the disabled attendees at Glastonbury, and the security guard at the platform. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    I noticed this story about Wireless Festival got some coverage this week as well @Ross_Scope

It's equally disappointing to read about, it always seems like accessibility needs are an afterthought at big events. 
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 201 Empowering
    How disappointing he would say this. I particularly dislike his brother Liam mainly because of some interviews I’ve seen. I found him to be rude and obnoxious. Sadly it looks like Noel is very much like his brother.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,980 Championing
    I've seen interviews with quite a few artists over the years, where I like their music, but not their views.  Not to defend them, but it can't be easy to be in the public eye all the time.

I'm not sure what could be done about it in this case either.  It's not 'hate' as such, and they're not going to care in the slightest if they've offended people.  

Not sure if any of you watch Noel's set at Glastonbury?  He even had the arrogance to play a load of new tracks that he knew no-one wanted to hear before playing the Oasis tracks!! :D
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,942 Championing
    Can't stand the pair of them, obnoxious twonks, shame as they are talented,    not surprised at his comments
  • gray1
    gray1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 12 Connected
    Obviously the Cola has melted his brain.
    He should be held accountable by the music industry as well as the police

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,443 Championing
    In an ideal world, how would you like him to be held to account for what he said @gray1
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 662 Pioneering
    Everyone gets paid back in their own coinage, and somewhere along the way Noel will be the brunt of bullying and offensive remarks. Personally I think Noel must be a very sad and insecure person to verbally abuse and belittle disabled people. He can't have much power or influence in his life if he finds it funny to offend people who can't answer back. It is a pity for him that he hasn't got better things to do.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,874 Championing
    Just shows what am ignorant unpleasant person he is and makes himself look bad live festivels are a grey area becsusecof where they hold its not always as accessible  as needed  but isn't always the fault of the organisers its because of the land its held on yes they should fo better but is it always possible?
  • gray1
    gray1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 12 Connected
    @Tori_Scope it amounts to a hate crime. Police cps and a judge.