Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Boris Johnson wants ‘multi-generational’ mortgages so parents can pass on debt to children

Options
racyguy
racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
I have just read this and wonder if Boris has actually thought this through?
I for one would not want to burden my children with a debt linked to our home. Surely the best way forward is the simpler answer - on death the house is sold to pay off the debt with the children getting what is left. 
We started with nothing starting off in a council house to where we are now. Hard work has seen us rise to owning our own home.
The same can be said for my two children who have done well and both own their own properties with only a small mortgage attached. Their sights are set on paying the mortgage off by when they are 50 - ten tears time and retiring at 60.

Who on earth would wish it upon the children a debt for them to continue to pay.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,949 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'll sound cynical here but I think it's to sneak through more powers for debt to fall onto your children instead of being written off. 
    Make it sounds like a positive (children can get on property ladder!!) while slipping through something most of us wouldn't agree with.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I read a lot of things in the media which make me laugh since half of their stories are incorrect or they fabricate things that are true to an extent. It’s generally the local newspapers who do this.

The reforms announced by the PM a few weeks ago in my opinion are great. Disregarding LISA/HTB savings when counting capital for means-tested benefits etc. There’ll always be winners and losers in everything. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.