I am still feeling low. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am still feeling low.

Nick00
Nick00 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I wrote on here some time ago about my depression,  things haven't really got very much better. I have always found it extremely difficult to speak to people. On the outside know one would know, I am just good old Nick as my ex used to call me. Inside though is completely different,  as many people who feel this way will know. I have had councillors in the past, and for a while it seemed to work. I am a carer for my wife who I love a great deal, however being a carer means that most of the time I am doing just that, caring. Recently I lost my brother after a very short illness. He was fine one week and by the next he sadly died. I have 4 grown up children and they are making there way in life, I am so proud of all of them. I live in the North of England and all of my family live in the South. Next weekend my children are holding a get together, which is quite rare because of there busy life's. Of course we are also invited. The week after the family are holding a memorial for my dear brother. Its quite possible that I will not be attending either of these important events due to my caring roles. This has really got to me and its getting me down. Like I said at the start I find it very hard to talk to people. It was quite difficult to send this aslo. 

Comments

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Good morning @Nick00,
    First of all thank you for your post and for sharing your feelings with the online community.  I do appreciate how hard it was to take that step.  I know a lot of what you say will resound with many of us in the online community and we are here to help and support you.  Is it possible that you are shielding your children from knowing how much you are struggling? Perhaps if you were to share with them the reality of your situation they would step up and be ready to help and support you.  May I  suggest you consider contacting the  Carers First  centre in your area who may be able to help  with regards to emotional support for yourself. Also,  have a look at our own site for advice about recruiting a carer or personal assistant if you need more support in caring for your wife.  Do take care.  
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nick00, it's nice to see you posting again, although of course I'm sorry to read that you are still finding things tough at the moment. Thank you for speaking so openly and honestly about how you feel, it can take a lot to do that sometimes so I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate it.

If you do feel as though you need any further support for your mental health, please re-visit your GP and talk with them about how you feel. They might be able to suggest other ways in which they can support you to manage your mental health.

Caring can be a really difficult thing to do due to the emotional weight that it can place on your shoulders, and it seems as though you would benefit from having some kind of break or time away from the responsibility. Have you looked into the possibility of respite care?  The mental health charity Mind also have an information page about your mental health as a carer, that you might find it useful to read.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your brother, that must be really difficult to be going through right now.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nick00 :) I just wanted to check how you've been doing since you last posted here. How have things been? Did you manage to make the family get together? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.