Equality Act 2010 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Equality Act 2010

Kelly1976
Kelly1976 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am just wondering if there is any point to the Equality Act 2010. If a business discriminates, unless the individual takes out private action with great expense, nothing happens. A business, local to me, placed parking terms and conditions signs in an inaccessible location then fined disabled people for not adhering to them. Despite being made to change the signs, the business is taking no accountability and upholding the charges. I can’t see the point in a law that is supposed to stop discrimination when businesses ignore it and penalise disabled people. They are profiting from their indirect discrimination. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kelly1976 and welcome to the community :) Thanks for posting this evening. I'm sorry to hear about that local business not taking any accountability for the barriers it has created.

I think there are many who who argue that the Equality Act really isn't fit for purpose, and doesn't have the "fangs" it needs legally speaking to really push through change, and hold businesses accountable. It's frustrating.

If you could make one change to things right now, what would it be?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Kelly1976
    Hello
    The change that I would make is for those with the power to enforce equality laws to do so. As it is, powerful businesses, such as the one I refer to, are allowed to discriminate against the powerless and nothing happens. The lack of consequence enables these types of business to continue operating without having to create true equality. These businesses  know that the average disabled person does not have the financial resources or legal knowledge to challenge them and they either ignore them completely or deny any wrongdoing until they give up. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Kelly1976! If you could make this change, we would fully support you.

It is truly sad to hear but thank you for continuing to bring awareness to such things. It is really important and will hopefully one day lead to change.

In the meantime, is there anything we can do to support you?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Kelly1976
    Hello,

It is very frustrating! I do not need any support at the moment, thank you. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    I hear your frustration @Kelly1976 <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.