40c by mid July? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

40c by mid July?

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
According to a new weather model we could reach 40 centigrade by mid July as reported by sky news. 
https://news.sky.com/story/britain-could-reach-40c-by-mid-july-forecast-computer-models-predict-for-first-time-12648278

However they say it has never happened before, well this picture was taken in my back garden on 24/7/2019 at 8mins past two in the afternoon.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• leeCal
    Options
    Me too @Teddybear12, I find putting my feet on a bowl of cold water really lowers the core temperature 🤒 🥵 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Omg I'm melting now so heaven help me if it happens 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep i do love the sun and heat but it's far to hot for me and i feel for people who have to work in these types of temps x
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Think I’m going to hibernate in my house with a fan on and an icy drink  :D
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know how people cope with these high heats on a permanent basis
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the statistic temperatures are taken in the shade, rather than in the sun?  I've seen 40c a few times already this year on my temp display, but it is mounted on a south facing wall.  I'm limited as to where I can put it with a first floor flat.

This heat really isn't for me though.  Already struggle to do much for about 3 months of the year purely down to the heat.  I'm genuinely concerned about it long term...hoping I can move somewhere with larger rooms and the option to run a hose through the wall so I can use an air conditioning unit indoors.  Not much that can be done about it outdoors though!
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    leeCal said:
    According to a new weather model we could reach 40 centigrade by mid July as reported by sky news. 
    https://news.sky.com/story/britain-could-reach-40c-by-mid-july-forecast-computer-models-predict-for-first-time-12648278

However they say it has never happened before, well this picture was taken in my back garden on 24/7/2019 at 8mins past two in the afternoon.

That was in full sunlight
    It would have been 15 degrees colder in the shade 
    The official measurements are taken in the shade 
  • leeCal
    Options
    Oh @Wibbles, I sit corrected 🙂

― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love the hot weather but this is too much for me. When on holiday it's different because you have AC inside and the pool outside.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    This was the temperature in my living room (blue) and in the shade in my garden (yellow) at 7:55 this morning !!

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thankfully it’s looking a tad cooler according to the BBC Weather app today. Yesterday was definitely too much, I’m off to London on Monday to see some family and temperatures are expected to get up to 40 degrees and I’m going till Thursday too! It totally ruins your experience when it gets to that heat. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree @bg844 moving around in anything more than 30c is so draining, let alone 40c!

Do take care on your visit, and I hope you can enjoy seeing family despite the heat next week :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Biblioklept
    Options

This heat really isn't for me though.  Already struggle to do much for about 3 months of the year purely down to the heat. 
    Me too! It's my least favourite time of year I just can barely move as it just makes me so uncomfortable.

I would love an air conditioner unit. Do portable ones need a hose too? 
  • Biblioklept
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Wibbles said:
    That was in full sunlight
    It would have been 15 degrees colder in the shade 
    The official measurements are taken in the shade 
    I didn't know this! Why are they taken in the shade? There's so little shade for most people it seems kind of pointless

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.