How long does a DFG take to process? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long does a DFG take to process?

Options
ruth1
ruth1 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
How long does a DFG take to process?

Comments

• thara9643
    thara9643 Posts: 69 Connected
    Options
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    L.As need to spend up budget in April, and the rest of the year move without speed or enthusiasm!

Radio 4 this week mentioned people's problems with cutting household spending. A man with a disabled daughter explained because he works, he is not a benefit claimant, but because she needs ventilator and hoist and other equipment, his electricity bill is a disaster. 

He and others point out that the DFG is
    a) over-prescriptive (tickbox says you must have this ugly and impractical solution)
    b) was capped at a maximum amount, though the costs of that work have since doubled. 
  • Aardvark
    Aardvark Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    Hello .  I am just going through the Disabled Facilities Grant for the second time.

12 years ago I had a DFG that converted my bathroom into a wetroom.  This time the DFG is to make doorways wide enough for my wheelchair as I am using it more and more in the house. 

I have no idea how long this will take but  my OT put me down as 'fast track' and it was approved in theory and the financial assesment forms done in a couple of days.  

I am waiting for OT and I assume a builder to come out and draw up plans then not sure what happens next.  

Sadly adaptations are done to a budget and dont always look great but for me they make such a huge difference.  Last time it was possible for me to pay a bit extra to get different bathroom tiles, I am hoping I can do the same this time if the door doesnt match but will have to see. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ruth1 :) Do you mind me asking which stage of the process you're at? 

The Disability Rights UK website says the following:
    There is a 6-month time limit for the local authority to give you a decision. This starts from the date of your formal application. Sometimes your local authority may specify a date of payment for the grant, but this should be no later than 12 months from the date on which you made your application.

As thara9643 has said, I imagine that waiting times can vary depending upon capacity, as well as the kind of work that needs to be done. 

How long have you been waiting so far?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Aardvark
    Options

Covid is still slowing things down.. so there is some leeway in time guides. 

Turns out my OT and builder were due next week but Covid has struck the builder so i need to wait for the builder to recover and be well enough again
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    That's a bit frustrating @Aardvark but I suppose it can't be helped, fingers crossed for the builders speedy recovery!

Have things progressed for you @ruth1? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Aardvark
    Options
    Hello John.

Yes that's a great space making trick. The wooden frames are often built up in layers so can lever bits. 

We went a step further and removed all a door frame then replastered for one part as didn't have door there anymore. Got an extra 4 inches in bathroom doorway also.

Sadly we couldn't solve bedroom doorway ourselves would prefer that to builders.. narrow hall and supporting wall so a bigger job.

It will happen .. i am looking forwards to it.. but yes very much agree with your tip we tried everything first as I just don't want the admin, then disturbance
  • ruth1
    Options
    @Tori_Scope

I started my DFG application back in February 2022 and my DFG got approved on 05th July 2022.
  • ruth1
    Options
    I now have an estimated start date of 26th September 2022.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds good @ruth1 :) Thank you for the update! How are you feeling about it?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • ruth1
    Options
    I feel really about it 😊
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds really positive @ruth1 :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • niknak7278
    niknak7278 Community member Posts: 85 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello All  :)

We’re going through the DFG process for the second time, this time for 2 people.

We are HA tenants, and when we had the initial assessment with Aids & Adaptations, we were told that even though the limit is set at £30,000 they have discretion to go higher - the adaptions for my husband alone is way over, but we were told don’t worry about it and it won’t be a problem. 

Our scheme has been agreed and DFG applications completed.  It’s been passed over to our HA.  We are now waiting for the architects visit.

Our HA surveyor has said the waiting isn’t down to Covid it’s the amount of referrals they’re dealing with due to people being cared for at home now instead of LA/NHS etc.

Given this COL crisis I’m curious to know what rate this will impact the cost of the works.

I’ll be honest, I’m not overly concerned, as during assessment, we were told whatever the cost is will be far less than the cost of carers coming in 4 times a day.

Good luck to those going through the process  :)
  • ruth1
    Options
    Hi niknak7278

My DFG has been approved on 5th July 2022
    and the work is estimated to start on 26th September 2022.

Thank you 

Ruthanne
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with applying for a DFG @ruth1 that's really helpful, I hope everything gets underway smoothly on the 26th September for you :)

Let us know how it all goes!
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• niknak7278
    niknak7278 Community member Posts: 85 Pioneering
    Options
    That’s fantastic news @ruth1
  • ruth1
    Options
    hi @niknak7278 the DFG process took 12months to 18 months 13th august 2021 to 29th September 2022.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us @ruth1. I am sure it will be helpful for our community members.

How are you at the moment? I hope you are well but if we can do anything to help please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • ruth1
    Options
    I'm excited because they have started today with the through floor lift.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That is exciting @ruth1 thanks for keeping us up to date :) I hope the installation goes smoothly for you!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.