Am I entitled to the cost of living payment? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to the cost of living payment?

Options
2»

Comments

• colin1970
    colin1970 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    colin1970 said:
    Hi, I was entitled to UC during the assessment period but didn’t get any as the ESA amount was more than the standard UC entitlement it’s just that the LCWRA element didn’t kick in till a few days after the assessment period was valid, does this provide more information or is it basically the dMe

You weren't entitled to a payment though because your ESA was deducted in full from any UC so your UC was reduced to zero. A nil award means no entitlement to the first CoL payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • colin1970
    Options
    Thank you, what about the second payment in the autumn, is there a separate assessment period for that? Just wondering 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They criteria hasn't been annouced for the 2nd payment of £324 yet.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not qualifying due to deduction because of ns-ESA is particularly harsh.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • colin1970
    Options
    Hi Calcotti,
    yes I agree that not qualifying for is harsh, especially since I’ve missed out by a few days, my next assessment period after the specific qualifying period started 22nd may till 21 June, if I’d have been a few days earlier in the end date, then the LCWRA would have ‘kicked in’ and it wouldn’t be nil. The other annoying thing is that the government are singing about helping 8 million of those most in need but when you actually look at their own statistics as of feb this year, not including things like PIP there are 8 million claiming benefits but it’s 6 million on UC and a further 2 million on ESA, so they aren’t actually helping the full 8 million

• calcotti
    Options
    colin1970 said:
    ..my next assessment period after the specific qualifying period started 22nd may till 21 June, if I’d have been a few days earlier in the end date, then the LCWRA would have ‘kicked in’ and it wouldn’t be nil. 
    That's quite a long way off because you would have had to get the LCWRA in a payment period which ended within the qualifying period (26th April to 25th May).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It might be an idea if Scope made details of the COL payment a "sticky"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Not qualifying due to deduction because of ns-ESA is particularly harsh.

Yes, completely agree.
  • colin1970
    Options
    I assume no one has heard if the government is having a rethink or are having any pressure put on them with regard to ESA and CoP
    i know an MP raised this in the commons and was told it was because ESA is not means tested, which seems to me to be a cost saving cop out as most people since about 2017 ish I think are on new style ESA
    So around 20% of those ‘most in need’ won’t get any assistance which to me just doesn’t seem right

• poppy123456
    Options
    I can't see how they can include those that claim a contributions based benefits. For those claiming NsESA like yourself, they can look at claiming UC to top up their income but it would depend on their circumstances.
    New style ESA is not means tested so i don't know how the government can decide who's on low income and who's not. Someone claiming this could have savings/capital and still be entitled to the ESA.

• calcotti
    Options
    colin1970 said:
    i know an MP raised this in the commons and was told it was because ESA is not means tested, which seems to me to be a cost saving cop out as most people since about 2017 ish I think are on new style ESA
    That isn’t the issue. If you had claimed ESA in 2017 in similar circumstances you would have still only got contribution based ESA only and not income based ESA so would still not have qualified.

The anomaly here is just that had you never claim new style ESA in your case it looks as if you would have got UC which would have entitled you to CoL.

However the practical difficulty for DWP would identifying claimants who would have got UC if not getting ns-ESA as against those who would not have been able to get UC anyway. So I although I think it unfair I do understand why the situation arises.
  • colin1970
    Options
    Yes I see the complications, nothing is ever straight forward, especially nowadays 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2022
    Options
    HDT84 said:
    my UC payment dates are the 16th of every month. 

Assessment period 10th April till 9th May I received £0 universal credit as my salary was over the threshold 

assessment period 10th May till 9th June I received £400 universal credit. 

Unfortunately you will not receive the CoL payment for this instalment.

Entitlement for CoL is established by UC entitlement for the assessment period that ends in the period.
  • calcotti
    Options
    HDT84 said:
    Ah ok :-( I wasn’t too sure as my 2nd assessment period ended within the government guidelines. 
    No it didn’t - you said it ended on 9th June which is outside the guidelines.
  • foxmagic5
    foxmagic5 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    My message has been deleted 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @foxmagic5 :) Your comment hasn't been deleted, don't worry. I made it into it's own post, which you can find here

Apologies, I meant to let you know, but clearly forgot!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.