Electricity & Gas costs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Electricity & Gas costs

Options
racyguy
racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
Well I had to laugh this morning after receiving an email from EON Next telling me that my current fixed contract finishes on the 17th July. They have offered me two choices - go onto a variable scheme at £235 a month or take a 1 year fix at £475 a month.
I know that more or less everybody is in the same boat but really do wonder where do EON expect me to find another £120 a month on top of what I had been paying for the last year?
There are only the two of us both close to 80.
To make matters worse and as we do not claim any means tested benefits we will get very little help from the government.

At least they can't hang us or put us in a debtors prison if we cannot meet these payments.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's quite an increase @racyguy, I'm sorry to hear that. This may seem like an obvious suggestion, so forgive me if you are already doing it, but I wonder if other providers can offer you a better deal?

As you say more or less everybody is in the same boat, so it may not make a great difference, but it may be worth shopping around?

There's lots of comparison sites you can use, and Scope has a Disability Energy Support service which could help as well.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    With the price cap expected to rise by 65% in October it’s only going to get worse.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will be getting some help £66.66 a month starting in October for six months, also £300 for pensioners and £150 if you are disabled a potential £850.

I was reading on the BBC this week that the govts.energy Tsar is suggesting that we will all have to be told to 1) turn our heating down and 2) cook our evening meals at different times, there will be a third alternative power cuts, that should keep our bills down !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If the heatwave is as bad as they predict for a few days the hens will be laying boiled eggs.

That’ll save a little energy anyway. 🙂

i wonder if some people in Iceland can use a hot geyser to cook with?

(gallows humour)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    calcotti said:
    With the price cap expected to rise by 65% in October it’s only going to get worse.
    Tell me about it!
    Ironically if I was to run up a debt for at least £750, EON have a trust that will pay it off in full
  • woodbine
    Options
    racyguy said:
    calcotti said:
    Tell me about it!
    Ironically if I was to run up a debt for at least £750, EON have a trust that will pay it off in full
    I think the caveat to that should be "might pay it off" otherwise every customer they have will run up £750 debts and sit back and watch them pay it off for them.

• woodbine
    Options
    Interesting to read on the BBC this evening that power cuts could happen across Europe this winter, and that earlier in the week the UK Energy Tsar announced that the govt. would have to advise us all to turn down our central heating and cook our meals at different times or we would risk power cuts here in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62167060

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scary thought @woodbine!! I hadn't seen the article but it does have me quite worried especially for those who would be the most vulnerable in power cuts
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds as though we have worrying times ahead @woodbine :( 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    You will be getting some help £66.66 a month starting in October for six months, also £300 for pensioners and £150 if you are disabled a potential £850.

I was reading on the BBC this week that the govts.energy Tsar is suggesting that we will all have to be told to 1) turn our heating down and 2) cook our evening meals at different times, there will be a third alternative power cuts, that should keep our bills down  - what's the £66'66 a month please @woodbine
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SueHeath said:..what's the £66'66 a month please @woodbine
    Government is provided a £400 credit to electricity bills. These will be administered via suppliers and it appears this may be made as monthly credits over a six month period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.