If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many people have received cost of living payment yet?

Options
tdotmelty27
tdotmelty27 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
Just wondering how many people have received cost of living payment yet I haven’t yet should I worry as my benefits are normally in by tthis. Time

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,135 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, you shouldn't worry because it can be paid anytime up until 31st July. I received mine today and i claim ESA. my daughter claims UC and hasn't had hers yet.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tdotmelty27
    tdotmelty27 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Options
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad we could reassure you @tdotmelty27 hopefully it won't be too long to wait until you receive the payment, let us know how things go :)

If you have any questions in the meantime please do ask, and we'll do what we can to help.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm on uc not had mine yet it is only the 1st day it can be paid so plenty of time yet to get it 
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Just wondering how many people have received cost of living payment yet I haven’t yet should I worry as my benefits are normally in by tthis. Time
    I don't get anything as I don't want to claim a means tested benefit which would pay me £50 a week if claimed and give 100% reduction in CT.
    It's a poor way of identifying those that really need it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    racyguy said:
    I don't get anything as I don't want to claim a means tested benefit which would pay me £50 a week if claimed and give 100% reduction in CT.

That's not quite correct, you and your wife will receive the winter fuel payment which is an extra £300 this year. So you will receive £500. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#pensioner-cost-of-living-payment
    There's also the £400 energy grant to be paid onto your energy account over a period of 6 months starting from October.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Have to agree with Poppy to say you don't get anything is incorrect, £400 fuel allowance not means tested, £300 pensioner payment not means tested, £150 disability payment not means tested (if you get a disability benefit).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• racyguy
    Options
    racyguy said:

That's not quite correct, you and your wife will receive the winter fuel payment which is an extra £300 this year. So you will receive £500. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#pensioner-cost-of-living-payment
    There's also the £400 energy grant to be paid onto your energy account over a period of 6 months starting from October.

Neither is your reply.
    The £500 is only for those that claim a means tested benefits otherwise the payment is £250
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said: .. as I don't want to claim a means tested benefit ..
    But that is your choice (although I understand the reasons why). They can't give out money to people who might be entitled to a means tested benefit if they chose to claim it because they don't know who those people are.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said: .. as I don't want to claim a means tested benefit ..
    But that is your choice (although I understand the reasons why). They can't give out money to people who might be entitled to a means tested benefit if they chose to claim it because they don't know who those people are.
    Unfortunately you are wrong in that belief.
    The DWP via HMRC are able to know with some great degree of accuracy who is entitled to PC and are not claiming it.
    This was proven a while back when the PS actually set up 1,000's of awards despite the applicants not even making a claim. They paid the PC for a period of 6 months with the hope that the recipients would want to continue the award by making a formal claim. Only a small percentage actually did so, the majority said thanks for the payments but refused to take the offer up.
    So that was the end of the Pension Service wanting to take the initiative. I see that they are active once more with adverts everywhere. I can't see that this will result in what they are hoping. Also in the past they even paid AgeUK to push the claims every time one of their clients sees them or goes to their offices - that failed miserably.
  • calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said:.. the PS actually set up 1,000's of awards despite the applicants not even making a claim. They paid the PC for a period of 6 months with the hope that the recipients would want to continue the award by making a formal claim. Only a small percentage actually did so, the majority said thanks for the payments but refused to take the offer up.
    So that was the end of the Pension Service wanting to take the initiative. 
    Had never heard of that.
    racyguy said:..I see that they are active once more with adverts everywhere.
    A daft time to be doing these when processing of existing claims is already taking many months. trying to increase demand without increasing capacity to process claims is bonkers.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    My Mum received hers today, she’s 89 and on pension credit, my brother also received his, he’s on PIP. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Karen7788 said:
    My Mum received hers today, she’s 89 and on pension credit, my brother also received his, he’s on PIP. 

Claiming PIP doesn't entitle someone to the first payment of £326.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456, PIP isn’t the only benefit he’s on. 
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    My partner received his - he's on Carer's Allowance (he looks after his Mum) and Income Support.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    racyguy said:
    racyguy said:

Neither is your reply.
    The £500 is only for those that claim a means tested benefits otherwise the payment is £250

That's not what i understood it to mean.

Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

If you’re entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2022 to 2023, you will get an extra £300 for your household paid with your normal payment from November 2022.

• calcotti
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Poppy is correct. The extra Winter Fuel payment of £300 goes to all eligible pensioners. Like the normal Winter Fuel payment itself it is not means tested (there are restrictions for those in care homes).

If you are under 80 you get £500, if you are over 80 you get £600. If you live with a partner the payment is split between you.

Full details here
    https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-much-youll-get
    Any money you get is tax-free and will not affect your other benefits.
    Born between 26 September 1942 and 25 September 1956Born on or before 25 September 1942
    You qualify and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify)£500£600
    You qualify and live with someone under 80 who also qualifies£250£350
    You qualify and live with someone 80 or over who also qualifies£250£300
    You qualify, live in a care home and do not get certain benefits£250£300

• poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks Calcotti, i thought i was going bonkers.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.