Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Esa partner moving in

craigjackie58 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I currently live alone and receive income based esa, enhanced pip with SDP. My partner/companion has been diagnosed with cancer and he receives universal credit with lcwra.
We have talked about moving in together as friends and companionship. He can help me with my mobility issues and I can help support with his well being. I know I will loose SDP but I’m very confused wether we have to claim as a couple? If so do I make a claim to esa? Will they end my esa and make me claim universal credit? Or does he inform universal credit and will that mean it will be a joint universal credit claim? Will he still be entitled to LCWRA? How will my rent & council tax be affected? So many questions sorry but very worried about loosing so much and also my independence as technically we are not an in an intimate relationship more of a companionship and convenience? I would be so grateful for any advice before making a final decision.
many thanks 


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    1) If you become a couple living together as if a married couple you will have to claim UC and be added to his claim. 

    Are you sure your ESA is all income based or is it possibly a mix of contribution based and income based? If the latter your contribution based ESA would continue (but would be deducted from the UC so would make no difference to the overall income).

    The process would be for him to inform UC that he has become part of a couple. He will be given a linking code and you will then claim UC using the linking code so taht your new UC claim is joined to his.

    He could still get the LCWRA element. However If you are getting Daily Living PIP it would be better for you to claim the LCWRA element (you will be entitled if you are in the ESA Support Group).  He can then claim the carer element of UC for looking after you (if he provides 35 hours of care). He will need to declare that he looks after you.

    Although both entitled to LCWRA you cannot both be paid it because only one LCWRA element can be paid for a joint claim.

    Your Housing Benefit will end. Help with rent will be provided through UC.

    2) Having said all of the above, this does not apply if you will be friends sharing your house with separate rooms and separate finances. You should still be treated asseverate benefit units and be able to claim as two individuals with you receiving  ESA and him receiving UC.

    What will your housing situation be? Unless he is liable to pay rent he would, as you say, be a non-dependant and unless he also gets Daily Living PIP you would lose your SDP.

    3) Regardless of which arrangement applies you will lose your single person discount on the CT bill. CTR  will depend on the rules for your local authority. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    "asseverate" meant to be "as separate".
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.