Want to share an achievement

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,987 Championing

As some will know I used to drink alcohol quite heavily but last year I got my drinking down to an average of 3 units a day which was a big achievement.

However over May-June my alcohol drinking had crept up to around 5 units a day on average.

In early July the doctor said to get it back down if I can. Since then I have averaged 2 units a day.

I am very pleased with this as there are quite a few stresses in my world at the moment making me anxious and nervous.

I like a drink and don’t want to give up completely as it’s one of my only pleasures in life but I am pleased to be drinking more quality drinks and less quantity. I am currently working on a bottle of Japanese whisky which cost £30 which is quite extravagant for me but still less costly than buying lots of cheap drinks.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I'm especially pleased as 2 units a day is the recommended limit so I now I am not exceeding that. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Championing
    Options
    We done @66Mustang do you feel better for cutting down 

@Teddybear12 I'm sure you'd daughter was very grateful for everything you did for her especially being able to be at home with you 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,951 Championing
    Options
    Well done @66Mustang, that is a big achievement for you. 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,932 Championing
    Options
    Well done @66Mustang, thats great, good for you, your new tipple sounds nice!
    And @Teddybear12 well done!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Teddybear12 thank you and well done on your achievement as well.

@janer1967 thanks, in all honestly I feel exactly the same but it must be healthier

@Sandy_123 thanks :)

@Grinchy thank you :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Championing
    Options
    I got an nvq in carpentry at age 55. 
  • leeCal
    Options
    Thank you @Teddybear12 🙂
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,139 Championing
    Options
    @66Mustang a big well done you, you always know where we are if you need support.
  • leeCal
    Options
    Sorry @66Mustang I misread the thread, I thought you were asking people to share their own achievements...ooops.

well done for reducing your alcohol intake 🙂
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thank you very much @leeCal and @woodbine. :)

Don't worry everyone is welcome to share their own achievements as well. :)
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,022 Championing
    edited July 2022
    Options
    What does 2 units of alcohol look like @66Mustang? I've no idea if that's 1 shot of whisky or 20 :D 

Well done on recognising it needed addressing and managing to stick to it! You should be very proud <3 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I got an nvq in carpentry at age 55. 
    That's awesome @leeCal! I love to be more hands-on with stuff. Did you enjoy doing the NVQ?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    My achievement would be learning how to do drips at home for my daughter so she did not need to be in hospital all the time. It helped that my daughter had complete faith in me. 
    <3 this is lovely
  • 66Mustang
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Thanks @Biblioklept :)

1 unit is 10ml of pure alcohol.

With a spirit like whisky, that is usually 40% alcohol, so a unit would be 25ml of whiskey.

A shot is usually 25ml.

Lots of places a standard serve is a "double" which is 50ml.

Something like beer, a pint could be a couple of units, depending on the alcohol % of the beer obviously.

I hope this helps visualise it a bit! :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Another way to look at it is 14 units is the weekly allowance which is half a standard bottle of spirits. They recommend you spread it over at least 3 days though, not have nothing all week then 14 units on a Saturday!!
  • leeCal
    Options
    @Biblioklept The nvq test was very stressful, I had to make a free standing L shaped studwork wall and hang a door in it whilst having many photos taken while I was doing it. It had to be spot on and secure with a brace which couldn’t be fixed but must stay in place , ie accurately fitted. It was a hot day too if I remember rightly.
  • leeCal
    Options
    It was rather stressful @Biblioklept, they kept taking pictures of my work in the practical section. I think I was also quizzed about health and safety too.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks @Biblioklept :)

1 unit is 10ml of pure alcohol.

With a spirit like whisky, that is usually 40% alcohol, so a unit would be 25ml of whiskey.

A shot is usually 25ml.

Lots of places a standard serve is a "double" which is 50ml.

Something like beer, a pint could be a couple of units, depending on the alcohol % of the beer obviously.

I hope this helps visualise it a bit! :)
    So it's sort of like a drink a day or maybe 2 depending on the drink? 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    leeCal said:
    @Biblioklept The nvq test was very stressful, I had to make a free standing L shaped studwork wall and hang a door in it whilst having many photos taken while I was doing it. It had to be spot on and secure with a brace which couldn’t be fixed but must stay in place , ie accurately fitted. It was a hot day too if I remember rightly.
    That does sound stressful, especially the pressure of photos while you are working on it rather than just showing the end result.
    Have you made many things since? 
  • leeCal
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Well not really @Biblioklept, there’s joinery and carpentry, my nvq was in carpentry but I have made several pieces of furniture over the years. Carpentry wise the last little job I did was hanging some doors for a friend of mine, he was delighted and it didn’t take me long. Funnily enough hanging doors is a knack, very difficult to teach, it’s more something you learn by trail and error, practise makes perfect. All you have to do is find someone who doesn’t mind you practising on their doors lol!