discretionary housing payment question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

discretionary housing payment question

Options
liltune
liltune Community member Posts: 10 Listener
hi quick question about discretionary housing payment

if my rent is lets say £800 but i only get £600 from UC for housing, will discretionary housing payment cover this in full? or will i have to make up the rest myself? is there a cut off point? do i have to give back the money eventually?

i ask because i've found apartments which allow lha but there new so a bit more pricey. and i want to understand discretionary housing payment before i make a decision, thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,640 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A DHP isn't guaranteed, whether you will receive this will depend on your circumstances. It's also only paid for a short period of time before you need to reapply.
    You really shouldn't be looking at properties if you can't afford the shortfall of rent because your local Authority may refuse the payment. Would the landlord of the property accept you if you can't afford the shortfall?
    You don't need to pay them back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As poppy says, a DHP, if awarded, is usually only for a short period. If you take out a new tenancy that you cannot afford at the time you take it out the DHP request may well be refused. They are intended to help people going through financial difficulty remain in their existing property while they get finances under control (often not possible of course).

If you do get a DHP you will not have to pay it back.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • liltune
    liltune Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Ok I misunderstood what DHP was thanks. that’s a shame not easy to find landlords/apartments that accept LHA tenants. Anyone of you know any websites that can help me search for such? Probably will be based on your surrounding area though but worth an ask.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Try gumtree they often gave adverts from local private landlords also places like zoopla and right move 

Google your area for letting agents tho going through agents quite 9ften landlords won't accept people on benefits only or require a guarantor and 6 month rent up front 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,640 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When using gumtree just be aware of scammers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.