Self- service checkout or traditional staffed checkout? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self- service checkout or traditional staffed checkout?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
When at a shop, do you prefer using a self-service checkout machine, or a traditional checkout where a member of staff scans your items for you? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Self- service checkout or traditional staffed checkout? 14 votes

Self-service checkout
28%
Tori_ScopeRoss_AlumniAlex_AlumniBiblioklept 4 votes
Traditional staffed checkout
71%
leeCaleasywoodbineGrinchySandy_123[Deleted User]SpoonbillPOGGYFLOSSSiwheels73Steve_in_The_City 10 votes

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I didn’t vote as it changes for me.

When I’m paying for the transaction I prefer a self checkout but recently I’m pushing myself to use the staffed checkouts when I can.

When someone else is handling it I prefer a staffed one anyway, especially if we have a lot of shopping.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depends how much I am buying if its a few items then self checkout unless its any items that will need authorising 

Big shop would be manned checkout 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Self-service checkout
    Self check out. In particularly scan and go, which has become our preferred method of shopping at the weekly food shop, it's convenient to be able to scan everything as you go around
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe that supermarkets are conditioning us to get used to checking out our own goods and making check out staff redundant, that is why I continue to use a manned check out. 
    Automation and robots are all well and good but I put people first, people need to work not just for money but also for their own self respect and well being.

Just because it can be done doesn’t mean it should be done. Humans first. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    @leeCal, me too. I completely agree with your thinking and, besides which, until they produce a robot till that is designed for wheelchair users to reach, I just cannot use them!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,529 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Prefer to use a staffed  checkout,  as it avoids....unexpected item in bagging area....wait for staff attendance....every 2 minutes. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We get most of our grocery delivered now as it's a lot cheaper from a transport view, we sometimes end up in M&S and always use the self service as they only have 2 or 3 manned check-outs
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,857 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i prefer to use a person, far to much getting automated, though if its only a couple of items we will use self checkout
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I prefer staffed checkout. I know most of the staff in the shops I frequent and it quite a sociable thing. Also, if I get confused the staff member is on hand to help. On the odd occasion I do use self-service I just sit back and let the staff scan it for me anyway, as I get totally be-muddled. I went in  Aldi for the very first time a few weeks ago, the branch is self-service only, and trying to buy 3 bananas was akin to solving The Rubik Cube.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Self-service checkout
    I only have stuff delivered now but before that became the case I'd always opt for self check out because I found the awkward conversations with check out staff very difficult. Nothing they did wrong, just I couldn't handle them 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.