Airline insistence on Window seating — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Airline insistence on Window seating

Options
jeml
jeml Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Having booked an aisle seat with an airline, I was informed that disabled people must sit by the window. Apart from the enormous discomfort in getting me into the seat, I have idea how I’ll get out, especially to the bathroom. Does anyone know if I have any rights in the matter? 

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jeml
    I’m sorry this has happened to you. Who are you flying with?
  • jeml
    Options
    Air Baltic. I have written to explain but they seem to be sticking by their position. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is strange @jeml it's not something I've heard of before, or been made to do as a disabled person on a flight. 

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has a page on Disability and Air Travel which I hope can help, they also have links to advice if you think you're being treated unfairly:

If you think you might have been treated unfairly and want further advice, you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service.

Phone: 0808 800 0082
    Textphone: 0808 800 0084

You can email using the contact form on the EASS website.

Opening hours:

9am to 7pm Monday to Friday
    10am to 2pm Saturday
    closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays

Alternatively, you can visit our advice and guidance page.

Let us know how things develop, and I hope you can get this resolved before your flight. Please feel free to have a look around the community in the meantime, and if you have any questions please ask. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,440 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Would you not have to abide by their rules as they are a foreign air carrier ? apologies if I'm wrong in anyway.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Would you not have to abide by their rules as they are a foreign air carrier ? apologies if I'm wrong in anyway.
    I'm afraid I don't know, but I can see why that might be the case.

I'm not sure how being next to the window is the most easily accessible seat option, but now I think on it, perhaps during an emergency evacuation situation, it allows other passengers to move away so that the crew can assist any disabled passengers without as many people in the vicinity? Without wanting to sound too cynical, this is all guesswork on my part, so don't read into it too much. 

It would be interesting to know the reasoning behind it, certainly!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jeml
    Options
    I think that is their logic (and I should add, I’ve had this with LOT airlines and a couple of others). But then just put me / the disabled person in a regular row, not by emergency exits, which they refuse to do. But bottom line, the more likely emergency would be going to the toilet, a serious concern. If emergency landing is more expected than the toilet one, then best not to fly at all.  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not saying it is the right thing bur my understanding is that the some airlines enforce this for the safety of everyone 

If there was an emergency eg fire or something a disabled person sitting in an normal row on the aisle seat would then be blocking the other 2 passengers from escape 

The obvious solution is to place disabled people  t the door seats though I know this doesn't always happen as people pre book these seats for comfort reasons 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I'm not saying it is the right thing bur my understanding is that the some airlines enforce this for the safety of everyone 

If there was an emergency eg fire or something a disabled person sitting in an normal row on the aisle seat would then be blocking the other 2 passengers from escape 

The obvious solution is to place disabled people  t the door seats though I know this doesn't always happen as people pre book these seats for comfort reasons 

What you say makes sense, my reasoning for agreeing is this:  The prime responsibility of the fire brigade is to save lives then buildings.  The prime responsibility of a captain of a warship is to save the ship, even if it means "sacrificing" the lives of sailors.  I would imagine the prime responsibility of a captain of an aircraft is the same - to save lives.  Putting disabled people near windows, as distasteful as it may be, will save more lives (of more able bodied people).  Such is the world in which we live.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cartini I agree with you it doesn't really seem ethical but it the other 2 passengers can get out they can assist the disabled person where as the disabled person most likely won't be able to assist and hold up the evacuation process putting more lives at risk 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.