Favourite childhood toy/game — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Favourite childhood toy/game

Options
MadCow1
MadCow1 Community member Posts: 396 Pioneering
edited July 2022 in Coffee lounge
Hi everyone,

Can anyone remember their favourite childhood toy/game ?

Mine was chuck stones/jack's, also clackers(the dangerous ones that really hurt you if they hit your wrist bone).

I used to spend hours doing these things.

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine was a massive game of Hide & Seek every day on the estate with the other kids. You’d be looking around every street trying to find one another. This was years and years ago when the area was much safer, nowadays I rarely see young children playing out due to them wanting to play on their Xbox and PlayStations, usually I only see older ones now smoking and drinking (not saying every one of them).

How times have changed!
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Yes@bg844,I agree 100% with that,times certainly have changed and not for the better either.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I loved teddies growing up, and used to play imaginary games with them :) They were probably my favourite toy. I also enjoyed sports, and playing in the garden. Lego was another favourite, along with Playmobil and Duplo when I was younger. I'm sure there are more... 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MadCow1
    Options
    I love teddies still (aswell as dolls) @Tori_Scope, I have a lot of them.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,858 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a room dedicated to my childhood obsession, Star wars, still love the toys and memorabilia, in that respect i never grew up, i'm a big kid at heart
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Being a big kid at heart is wonderful  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I still have some too @MadCow1 :) I have a duck called Ernie, who's my newest one. I bought myself and my partner identical ones earlier this year. Hers is called Dottie.

I also have two from my childhood who sit on a bookshelf in my room: Neckie (a small giraffe), and Pink Ted (a bear in a pink outfit). I have more in a storage box at my mum's house somewhere :D 

• MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @Tori_Scope,

None of mine are in storage,they actually have took over the spare room. I have lost count of how many I have actually,but it must be in the thousands by now.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I bet that's a comfy room @MadCow1! I'd probably have a few more out if I didn't just rent one room in a shared house. I'm not sure my housemates would approve :D How long has it taken you to collect that many? Is there a theme to them (e.g. Beanie Babies, animals, souvenirs etc.), or is it a mix of teddies? 

• MadCow1
    Options
    I been collecting them for years @Tori_Scope, it's a mixture of all-sorts of teddies, souvenirs,animals & lovely baby dolls. They are all shapes & sizes,but love being cuddled .
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    We used to love playing Jacks 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,858 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Would love to see your collection @MadCow1, sounds very cool, i have a room full of star wars goodies, and a thread on here i put on to share pics
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We used to love garden hopping, climbing fences and hedges to get to the last house, why? I don't know. curby was and still is a favourite game.  Knock door run, hopscotch.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    When I was extremely young I had a very scruffy ginger coloured dog as a toy, called peter, I called everything peter. However as I grew I became very fond of airfix miniature soldiers, played with those a lot, they were cheap and you got thirty I think in a box? As opposed to larger soldiers from Woolworths which cost sixpence each, couldn’t afford many of those. I only got thruppence a week pocket money. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MadCow1
    Options
    Can anyone remember a game with the song "I wrote a letter to my love & on the way I dropped it? " It was the same tune to "there was a farmer had a dog,his name was Bobby Bingo". There was also a game called Queenie Queenie who's got the ball. I do remember knocky 9 doors,as it called in this area.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Some really interesting toys and games on this thread! I will look forward to hearing more of your childhood toys and games if you wish to share them with us  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.