Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Going back to work. What happens to benefits?

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
If I did decide to go back to work after my meeting tomorrow what would happen to my benefits?

would I lose them. Would I be able to reclaim them quickly or not

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What benefits are you receiving?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bluefox
    Options
    ESA - LCWRA
    UC & Housing element - LCWRA
    PIP
  • calcotti
    edited July 2022
    Options
    PIP is not affected.
    If you work less than 16 hours/week and earn less than £152/week you can continue to receive ESA but need to complete a Permitted work form (PW1).
    For UC there will be deduction of 55% of your earnings less a disregard of £334/month (Work Allowance).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bluefox
    Options
    Hi @sierrafox Are you fit to go back to work after your meeting tomorrow? 
    Probably not, no. But some of my friends are saying trial it. Pull yourself together. Don’t be unemployed etc and it’s affecting my mental health. Some are saying it may even aid my recovery. 
  • bluefox
    Options
    My GP actually doesn’t want me to go back to work but I said I’m feeling suicidal about losing my job. But he said I need to get better first. 

But also other GP’s said it’s up to me and when I feel ready and able. 

Tbh I’m super scared. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    sierrafox said:
    Probably not, no. But some of my friends are saying trial it.
    If you trial something try and stick inside the Permitted Work limits in order not to lose your ESA. Although your ESA is deducted from your UC so you aren’t better off on both worth keeping the ESA in cases circumstances change.
  • bluefox
    Options
    My only worry with trialling something is if I’m declared fit for work. But I do have a feeling my LCWRA award is related to suicidal thoughts. But also initiating self care. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    We hear you @sierrafox. This sounds really tough.

Do you have the support you need in place at the moment for suicidal thoughts and initiating self-care or would you ideally have more support in place?

We are here for you if you would like to discuss this further with us. Hopefully, your needs will be heard and you will only be declared fit for work if you are <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • bluefox
    Options
    It’s a tough one. 

I mean part of my PIP award is lack of self care and the need for prompting. I’ve always been this way even when I did work but this is the first time I’ve ever claimed PIP and I imagine once I start work. They’ll think we’ll if he can shift boxes, why can’t he brush his teeth etc? 

I don’t know if having a job would give me a routine. I’ve only ever worked part time because of my mental health tbh. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    sierrafox said:
    Probably not, no. But some of my friends are saying trial it. Pull yourself together. Don’t be unemployed etc and it’s affecting my mental health. Some are saying it may even aid my recovery. 
    Then your friends probably don’t understand your health condition. 
    You’ve started quite a few threads asking similar questions and you’ve said In a lot of them that you’re not ready to return to work. 
    I totally understand it’s very difficult the thought of not being able to work right now but that may not be forever. In the future you maybe able to try returning to work for a few hours a week to see how you manage. 
    In the meantime I think you should concentrate on your health, which comes before anything else and what anyone else thinks. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    edited July 2022
    Options
    sierrafox said:
    You’ve started quite a few threads asking similar questions and you’ve said In a lot of them that you’re not ready to return to work. 
    I totally understand it’s very difficult the thought of not being able to work right now but that may not be forever. In the future you maybe able to try returning to work for a few hours a week to see how you manage. 
    In the meantime I think you should concentrate on your health, which comes before anything else and what anyone else thinks. 

You do have a point. I didn’t have my meeting today with work but off the record chat. They said they would be willing to offer 30 min-1 hour shifts to see how I get on. 

They said to me, ‘I look better’. Again, mental health conditions are invisible. Now I feel like I’m being judged for my appearance. 

As it happened, I actually felt sweaty and panicky due to new medication, which is oddly giving me the sweats. Hence the reason why I probably looked more colourful. 

But I have noticed with myself that peoples advice and thoughts often get stuck in my head and I take things quite literally. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How do you feel about the prospect of those 30 min - 1 hour shifts @sierrafox
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • bluefox
    Options
    sierrafox said:

You do have a point. I didn’t have my meeting today with work but off the record chat. They said they would be willing to offer 30 min-1 hour shifts to see how I get on. 

They said to me, ‘I look better’. Again, mental health conditions are invisible. Now I feel like I’m being judged for my appearance. 

As it happened, I actually felt sweaty and panicky due to new medication, which is oddly giving me the sweats. Hence the reason why I probably looked more colourful. 

But I have noticed with myself that peoples advice and thoughts often get stuck in my head and I take things quite literally. 
  • bluefox
    Options
    How do you feel about the prospect of those 30 min - 1 hour shifts @sierrafox
    I’m not sure because ultimately I will be back onto my normal contracted hours after 6-8 weeks and my FND/NEAD symptoms are not so good with physical work. Then nights could impact my mental health. It’s really difficult to say
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    This sounds really tough @sierrafox  :( In an ideal world, what would your next steps be?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • bluefox
    Options
    I’m not sure to be honest. I know the job centre have said they can help me back into work when I’m ready. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are your benefits means tested? If so, you'll be limited to working a few hours a week, which hardly seems worth it IMO by the time the taxman's taken his cut on your earnings. 

That’s not correct here. The correct advice has already been given here 
    calcotti said:
    PIP is not affected.
    If you work less than 16 hours/week and earn less than £152/week you can continue to receive ESA but need to complete a Permitted work form (PW1).
    For UC there will be deduction of 55% of your earnings less a disregard of £334/month (Work Allowance).

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.