Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Ill health retirement

Stormysky Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi I have been accepted for ill health retirement but I’m getting confused and conflicting advice I was advised not to resign and go to stage 3 panel and dismissal but the trust I work for are asking me to resign but I have been told if I resign I will not get any financial help for 12 weeks and the trust I work for say that if the claim is not processed in a reasonable time the ill health retirement will be withdrawn and I would have to reapply. Help


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    hello @Stormysky, thanks for making this post :) 

    Sorry to read of what you are going through, I imagine you are feeling quite confused and just want to know where you stand and what your best course of action should be.

    Have you considered getting in touch with an organisation like ACAS for some professional advice?
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    If you resign due to ill health then you can claim benefits without the 12 week wait 

    However what you maybe entitled to could be affected by your pension from your retirement 

    I would advise contacting welfare rights for a full benefits check before you make any decision however either decision won't change what benefits you can claim 

    Depending on your circumstances you could be able to claim new style esa which isn't means tested but you need to have paid the required ni contributions and provide fit note 

    Or you maybe entitled to uc which is means tested and if you are a couple you have claim as couple so partner earnings taken into account 

    You could try benefits calculator found on gov website 
  • Stormysky
    Stormysky Community member Posts: 12 Listener
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @Stormysky. It is the very least you deserve. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.