Work Capability Assessment

Options
shellbell20
shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Empowering
edited October 2022 in Benefits and income
So I finally received a date for my WCA after 9 months of waiting, it was for today. I received a letter with the date and two text messages warning me if I did not attend the phone interview between 1 and 4 pm then my Universal Credit might get sanctioned.  I didn't sleep all night because of my anxiety, I have been sick half the day worrying about it because I found it very difficult with the PIP assessment and was just so anxious that I had to do it all over again. Anyway, I waited and waited and I waited, it's now 5.35 pm and still no call, no call to say it's been cancelled either. I did try to ring their office at 4.50 but I only waited in the queue for two minutes in case they were trying to contact me in the interim period. I don't know what to do now. I am just so fed up and depressed that I have to go through all of this again or worse that they might sanction for me for them not phoning. Does anyone have any advice on what I am supposed to do now?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear this. They should have rang you to tell you what’s happening at least. I’d advise you to ring them first thing in the morning.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear this. They should have rang you to tell you what’s happening at least. I’d advise you to ring them first thing in the morning.
    Thanks Poppy. I will just have to ring tomorrow but to be very honest, I have been anxious about this since I found out I had one and now I have to go through it all again and what worries me is that they will now sanction me, although I left a note on my UC journal to advise that no-one called, so at least they know I was available if they said they tried to contact me if you understand what I mean. I will call tomorrow when I get up, if I sleep as I know I will worry about it all night its part of my anxiety worrying about things. x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,649 Championing
    Options
    Morning @shellbell20

Sorry to read this. I know how it feels to have that anxiety in the build up to a WCA, only to have it either cancelled at the last minute or for somebody to just not call you as has happened in your case. I hope that they can get back in touch with you and provide an explanation about what may have happened, and hopefully they can re-arrange for a time that suits you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Championing
    Options
    Sorry to hear this @shellbell20 i've got my telephone appointment next Tuesday - so i will be interested to hear how you get on today, just incase the same happens to me.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Morning @shellbell20

Sorry to read this. I know how it feels to have that anxiety in the build up to a WCA, only to have it either cancelled at the last minute or for somebody to just not call you as has happened in your case. I hope that they can get back in touch with you and provide an explanation about what may have happened, and hopefully they can re-arrange for a time that suits you.
    SueHeath said:
    Sorry to hear this @shellbell20 i've got my telephone appointment next Tuesday - so i will be interested to hear how you get on today, just incase the same happens to me.
    I am so very sorry for not answering for a while, it was not intentional. I have so much going on that I find extremely overwhelming. They did not ring and I found out they did not ring because they had not transferred my file from one county to another. I had been compensated by Universal Credit when I complained about the long wait. I didn't want £75 compensation, I just wanted the end of the phone calls from the job centre so I could try to get better. 

Anyway, after the £75 compensation for them not assessing me for 7 months, they booked the appointment and as you know I waited and waited and waited, no call because apparently, they hadn't transferred my files due to moving in April from Manchester to Cheshire. They did not have the common courtesy to advise me the assessment was cancelled, as apparently I am not a person, a human being, I asked for a set time for the next appointment and they didn't do the decent thing again. I guess disabled people are not worthy of that consideration.   At this point I don't what to say other than I am not getting better, it just validates the worthlessness that I feel inside every day.

• poppy123456
    Options
     I asked for a set time for the next appointment and they didn't do the decent thing again. I guess disabled people are not worthy of that consideration.  

I don't think it's anything to do with disabled people not being worthy. It wouldn't be possible to do that. Sometimes assessments can last quite sometime so to give you an exact time just wouldn't be possible at all.
    Even when going to medical appointments we can be waiting for a while after the appointment time, depending on how long the people before us are in the room for. For this reason a timescale between two times is really the best they can do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • shellbell20
    Options
     I asked for a set time for the next appointment and they didn't do the decent thing again. I guess disabled people are not worthy of that consideration.  

I don't think it's anything to do with disabled people not being worthy. It wouldn't be possible to do that. Sometimes assessments can last quite sometime so to give you an exact time just wouldn't be possible at all.
    Even when going to medical appointments we can be waiting for a while after the appointment time, depending on how long the people before us are in the room for. For this reason a timescale between two times is really the best they can do.
    I am sorry I didnt phrase it right,I meant anyone off sick not just disabled people, or should I say anyone in receipt of benefits. Sorry I was tired and upset when I wrote this as my son is leaving the country for good soon and I am finding it really hard just now . I was also meant to say that after being cancelled on and not being informed of the cancellation I should have been able to pick an allocated time slot.  I do realise appointments can carry on later, but with PIP I was given an hour time slot but not with work capability. after their blunder again.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    So an update. I again went through not sleeping before my assessment, threw up in the toilet before it only for them to cancel on me yet again. It's 9 months and counting waiting for the assessment. They told me that they would rebook my appointment and it would be around 8 to 10 days, they told me the assessor was ill.  I didn't hear anything so I rang them up today, only to be told that they cant book me an appointment as they are full up right now. I just cried when I put the phone down. I have to wait for goodness how long and have to go through the anxiety and stress it causes me beforehand, not to mention I have to ask my doctor for another sick note shortly and also put up with UC contacting me for appointments. I just don't understand why they cant leave me to get better, they are making my recovery impossible.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about this new cancellation @shellbell20 it must be incredibly wearing and upsetting for you to have to deal with. It's all very well saying that these things are out of your control, but they are still happening, which isn't helping the way you feel. 

Can I ask what support you're getting for the anxiety and stress you're feeling right now? Have you spoken to a loved one or your GP about the impact it's having?

Please reach out for support if you need to, there's plenty of organisations you can go to when you're struggling with stress and anxiety, including Mind, who have tips on self-care, or if you prefer, you can text "SHOUT" to 85258 anytime for support. 

Let us know if you feel we can offer an extra support, and take care this weekend :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Hi again @shellbell20 how are you today? 

I'm just wondering how things have been since last week? Have you had an update on the date of your assessment?
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• shellbell20
    Options
    Hi again @shellbell20 how are you today? 

I'm just wondering how things have been since last week? Have you had an update on the date of your assessment?
    Yes, I have had an update it's meant to be on 2nd September, but via video when I expressly asked for a phone call due to my anxiety, I can't bear people staring at me. I was going to put another complaint in but not sure what to do as I just can't keep waiting and waiting for an assessment which will be 10 months of waiting if I have this one in Sept.  I really don't know what to do regarding it. I do have my 2nd round of counselling sessions starting on 5th September and the doctor ringing me for a check on Monday. Thanks for reaching out to me and for your kind words.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ring them and ask for a telephone assessment rather than a video call. 0800 288 8777. Or you can email them customer-relations@chdauk.co.uk

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That's quite alright, and I'm glad to hear you're also getting support with counselling as well as from your GP. 

If they cannot change it to a telephone call, which they should be able to, you could ask them to turn their camera's off, do you think that would make the call easier to manage @shellbell20? :)
    Scope

• shellbell20
    Options
    Ring them and ask for a telephone assessment rather than a video call. 0800 288 8777. Or you can email them customer-relations@chdauk.co.uk

Thanks but the reason I have been hesitant is that the last time or the time before last time when I had to book an appointment with them they said that there was a long wait for a telephone assessment compared to a video or face-to-face. I don't know why as there is no rhyme or reason to that methodology, hence my hesitation to ring them. However, after you just commented I decided to pluck up the courage to ring, I say courage as my anxiety stops me from making simple phone calls. Anyway, because it is already a complaint the guy who answered the phone and seemed understanding of my predicament said to leave it with him and that I wouldn't have to wait any longer for a telephone assessment because of the ongoing wait.  So thank you Poppy for giving me the courage to make that call as I had already become anxious at the thought of random strangers staring at me via webcam.
  • shellbell20
    edited August 2022
    Options
    That's quite alright, and I'm glad to hear you're also getting support with counselling as well as from your GP. 

If they cannot change it to a telephone call, which they should be able to, you could ask them to turn their camera's off, do you think that would make the call easier to manage @shellbell20? :)
    I have sorted it, but that is what I was going to do I was going to ask them if I could turn off the webcam. Sounds ridiculous but I can't stand people staring at me I try to avoid the situation at all costs. To be honest, I try to avoid people, mostly people I don't know. I know it's my anxiety that makes me scared but I don't know what causes this dread of not wanting to be stared at or to be near people.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Being started by people we don't know at is never a nice feeling @shellbell20, that's understandable. 

Can I say a massive well done for making the call and for getting it sorted, I'm so pleased you were able to speak to someone who understood what you need. 

I hope everything goes well for you on the 2nd September, we'll be thinking of you, and here to support you, so keep us updated when you can :) 
    Scope

• shellbell20
    Options
    Being started by people we don't know at is never a nice feeling @shellbell20, that's understandable. 

Can I say a massive well done for making the call and for getting it sorted, I'm so pleased you were able to speak to someone who understood what you need. 

I hope everything goes well for you on the 2nd September, we'll be thinking of you, and here to support you, so keep us updated when you can :) 
    Thanks for your support. They sent me a text yesterday to say it was a video appointment, but I couldn't sort it out yesterday as yesterday was such an awful day for me and today still is. My son has left to live in Japan (my only child) and the deep sadness and pain I feel are immeasurable. I have tried to be strong for him, but just even writing this makes me want to cry.  I spoke with my doctor about it and about my increasing dizzy spells and anxiety attacks, she has doubled my medication and is pleased that the counselling I have waited nearly a year for starts on Monday as she feels I need it.  Anyway because of the delays and cancelled appointments, the person I rang sent an email today to say don't worry it is still a telephone interview even if they haven't messaged you regarding this.  I am glad they emailed as I couldn't have rang them today, I have no energy to do anything not even pay my rent right now, although I have the money in the bank.  Tomorrow I have to go through an assessment and I know that any little thing said will no doubt trigger me to cry and it scares me that I might not stop once I start.  
  • shellbell20
    Options

Just to let you know I finally had the assessment. The man on the phone was very kind, I did cry a little and I was very anxious but he was very patient with me. He told me I would probably pass the threshold on my MH alone which apparently I did without discussing other ailments. He told me it would now go to a dm as he is not the one to make the decision.  I have no idea how long that takes or what happens next, I am just relieved it is done and that perhaps I will be allowed to have time to get better rather than worrying about assessments and such.

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Championing
    Options
    @shellbell20
    Universal Credit are normally quick with WCA decisions but the normal time frame is 2-12 weeks, can be longer though. Nice to hear your assessment went well too although he shouldn’t of said anything in regards to ‘passing’ but credit to him for saying it’s not his decision. 

Fingers crossed and keep us all updated.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    bg844 said:
    @shellbell20
    Universal Credit are normally quick with WCA decisions but the normal time frame is 2-12 weeks, can be longer though. Nice to hear your assessment went well too although he shouldn’t of said anything in regards to ‘passing’ but credit to him for saying it’s not his decision. 

Fingers crossed and keep us all updated.
    I hope he doesnt get into trouble for that, as he was so nice.