carry on walking — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

carry on walking

Options
ruth1
ruth1 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
Hi there 

I have been thinking about using my wheelchair full-time as I have been getting more pain and feeling more tired. 

Any advice 

Thank you 

Ruthanne 

Comments

• ruth1
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hi Libby 

I'm thinking about using my wheelchair full-time as I have been getting more  pain and feeling more and more tired when doing daily tasks. 

Thanks 

Ruthanne 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would advise if yiy can walk a bit then do so even if its just in the house 

Once you use chair all time your muscles will get used to not being used also lack of exercise no matter how small could lead to weight gain 

But you should get expert medical advice from gp of maybe physio 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @ruth1

Thanks for sharing your experience, sorry to hear that you are feeling more pain and more tiredness when doing daily tasks. Is it something you have discussed with your GP?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @ruth1 i hope your well.
    I'm with Jane here.
    See what the Doc or physio say first.
  • ruth1
    Options
    Hi @SueHeath

My doctor is aware that I'm using my wheelchair. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ruth1 said:
    Hi @SueHeath

My doctor is aware that I'm using my wheelchair. 
    Good morning :) Thank you for replying on this thread and for letting us know that your doctor is aware. Have they been able to provide some advice and support to help you with how best to proceed? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ruth1
    Options
    Hi @Ross_Scope

My doctor also said as Long as I'm doing my exercise whilst I am using my wheelchair then that is okay.

I intend to use my full time wheelchair and transfer onto the gym equipment.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds really positive that you have heard from your doctor @ruth1. How are you feeling about what your doctor has said?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @ruth1and welcome to the online community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing more pain and tiredness. The current hot weather must also be making things worse. Do you enjoy using the gym equipment or is it something you feel you "have" to do. What is it that you really enjoy doing and when did you last have the opportunity to do that ?  ? Has your GP been supportive and have you had any input from a physio to suggest exercises that you could try to help  "compensate" for the time you spend in your wheelchair. 

Are you conscious of any deterioration in your conditions which has made you more tired and cause more pain. If you are on PIP it may be that you would be entitled to claim for a higher rate of whichever component you are receiving.  If you are already receiving  enhanced rates your PIP will not be increased as you will be receiving the maximum award. It is something to think about carefully as reporting a change of circumstance is likely to trigger a new  health assessment.  

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • ruth1
    Options
    Hi @Sue_Scope

I already do exercises at the gym and Personal exercise programme from my physiotherapist and I have receive enhanced Care component and enchanced Mobile component. I still will do exercises in my wheelchair. My GP support this. 

Both the hot and cold weather makes my conditions worse. 

Thank you

Ruthanne 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.