If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

New Here!

Options
sunflower1962
sunflower1962 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I just wanted to say hello! I'll be 60 in September and I have worked for most of my adult life bringing up two daughters whom now both work full time whilst bringing their children up also. Approximately 6 years ago my health began to decline, my marriage ended ( on a sour note) and I found myself alone, no job, no money, no home and sleeping on my brothers sofa! 😢 For the first time in my life I headed to the job centre in my local town, I had no money whatsoever, feeling very poorly but knew I had to find work. Well..I sat in front of the interviewer who was very polite and just broke down! ( I think everything just came to a head and thus poor lady recieved the brunt of it!) She was amazing! She explained that I was not in any frame of mind to look for employment and gave me the number to ring ESA. That was the beginning of my benefit life, ESA were also very helpful too! I was put on ESA for 12 weeks then had to re apply, I have been in receipt of ESA since then and placed in the support group. I didn't know about PIP until I was on this benefit so claimed that also and was awarded the lower rate care and mobility. I applied to do permitted work which was agreed and off I went strictly staying whithin the boundaries that PIP stated, I was so happy to be working again, unfortunately after 18months due to my health decline I had to give up my little job which also affected my mental health too. I now have my own one bedroom flat new build social housing that has been adapted with a level access shower and I'm finally settled in my life...until recently. I am about to receive an inheritance from my parents house which is going through probate, it will be around £40000 but all its done is fill me with dread, I know I'll lose my benefits, which also include housing benefit and council tax benefit and I understand this money will be used for my living expenses until it runs out. I'm going to purchase a funeral plan, I don't want my children to have the expense of that when the time comes and I also would like to gift some to my two daughters...Will this be frowned upon? I'm so worried about all this and not sleeping well, my anxiety is through the roof! I would like to donate the rest to charity but I just don't  know if  this is allowed also? Sorry for waffling on I'm just so confused and anxious 😟 Thanks for reading, I'm glad I found this site! BTW my health issues are arthritis in my neck, spine, knees, hands and feet. Fibromyalgia and I've just discovered I have a tumour on my adrenal gland. I remain optimistic and if my benefits do cease I'll manage the best way I can!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,252 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once the money goes into your bank then you will need to report the changes to ESA and your local Authority. All means tested benefits will end. If any part of your ESA is contributions based then this will continue (£117.60/week)
    Once the money goes below £16,000 you can reclaim benefits but you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with any rent.
    Giving away money to your familiy is likely to be seen as deprivation of capital and you'll still be classed as having that money. It will be down to a decision maker from DWP to make that decision when you claim UC in the future.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just adding on that PIP will continue as normal and you don't need to let them know.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Heya
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @April2018mom. How are you doing at the moment? I hope you are well but we are here for you if you need anything. I appreciate it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.